topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Custom dice for board games, etc.  (Read 16005 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Custom dice for board games, etc.
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Found a 1/2 square hole punch on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/...0:g:1agAAOSwsN9W~gdk

True 15mm would be 19/32 or 15.0815mm which might still run afoul of the rounded edges. 1/2 inch is 12.7mm which might not be too bad, and is a "standard" size to can potentially be found as apposed to cu$tom made..
-Stoic Joker (May 07, 2016, 08:09 AM)

That particular one is 1.5 inches. :)

But yeah, I came to a similar conclusion myself this morning and decided to try a 0.5 inch hole punch. I'm pretty sure I saw one at a local craft shop in my search last week, and with rounded corners, so I'll be checking that out soon.

That said, after making some test printouts at various sizes, I personally felt 15mm was "perfect" (despite my imperfect trimming with the scissors) and that 14mm would also be sufficient, but 13mm leaves a fairly significant border around all sides of the images. I hadn't done the math yet to figure out that 0.5 inches is 12.7mm. That might be a bit too small for my liking, but you gotta do what you gotta do. . .

The alternative is to cut them all out by hand, and I'm not really looking forward to doing that with 180 or more of them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 11:00 AM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 11:13 AM »
I just found this 9/16" (0.5625" or ~14.3mm) punch, which might be suitable.

Seems like I'm going to spend more money trying to find the right punch than on the rest of the project combined. :(

EDIT: I ordered it. If this doesn't work out, I guess I'll be doing it manually with a paper cutter and scissors.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:50 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 11:46 PM »
Well, it arrived today. Sort of. I actually received a 16mm punch instead of the one I ordered, so now I have to send it back.

Now the project is delayed for another week or two.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Well, it arrived today. Sort of. I actually received a 16mm punch instead of the one I ordered, so now I have to send it back.

Now the project is delayed for another week or two.

I hate it when that happens.  "We don't have that one is stock.  Send the next closest thing.  They'll never know the difference."  Customer contempt mode.