topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Resource Builder or Resource Tuner - Are they really necessary ?  (Read 6570 times)

Defenestration

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was checking out the Member specials and came across very good discounts on Resource Tuner and Resource Builder. I know these apps can rip/replace/edit resources from EXE's, DLL's, etc., but are these apps really necessary when Visual Studio already includes a resource editor ?

Also, which of these apps is better and why ?

From what I can see, Resource Builder comes with an icon editor and support Unicode, whereas you need to purchase a separate icon editor (ie. AWIcons Pro) with Resource Tuner and I'm not sure it supports Unicode. Is this correct, and is there a discount available for AWIcons Pro ?

FYI, I'm a software developer who develops in C/C++.

Is it worth me purchasing either of these apps ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
this is a great question.. I would love to see a comparison or a report from someone who has analyzed them all,
in terms of features AND ease of use.

Resource Builder seems to have some support for delphi/c++builder resources,
both have batch export stuff i think..

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
From a basic look at both websites, here are some differences:

Resource Builder includes an icon editor and support Unicode. With the 64% DC member discount, it costs $17.82 for a single user licence which can be used for commercial purposes.

Resource Tuner does not support Unicode and requires the purchase of a separate icon editor (eg. AWIcons Pro, which they also sell). With the 50% DC member discount on Resource Tuner, it costs $34.98 for a business licence (which allows commercial use), coupled with $60 for an AWIcons Pro business licence. Therefore, it costs $94.98 for a similar solution to Resource Builder.

Neither solution seems to support 64-bit exe/resource files.

So, on the surface Resource builder seems the better solution as it supports Unicode and costs a whopping $77.16 less.

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Resource Builder seems to have some support for delphi/c++builder resources,
Resource Tuner also supports Delphi/C++ Builder resources, according to the website.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
well that figure is a bit questionable, you are adding in your comparison of prices a $60 fee for AWIcons Pro business license.  i would be surprised if the built in icon editor in resource builder could hold a candle to awicons..

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Good point. I actually found that AWIcons has it's own site (http://www.awicons.com/awicons.shtml), which has a lighter version of AWIcons available (ie. Standard version) for $29.95, although this still probably offers more functionality than the built-in icon editor of Resource Builder. I suppose it depends on how much icon work you think you'll do.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
btw:
hamradio has written a very good icon editor review which will be published this month.
maybe i can expedite getting this published to help inform this discussion - i know he looked at awicons a lot.

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That would be an interesting read.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
I was checking out the Member specials and came across very good discounts on Resource Tuner and Resource Builder. I know these apps can rip/replace/edit resources from EXE's, DLL's, etc., but are these apps really necessary when Visual Studio already includes a resource editor?
-Defenestration (July 06, 2006, 01:36 AM)
(emphasis added by me)
When hax0ring around with other people's executables, perhaps... or if you decide that visual studio is too clunky and would rather use, say, notepad++ and SCons for editing and building.
- carpe noctem

Defenestration

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have just been told by the author of Resource Tuner that sole developers of shareware do not need a business licence (apparently this only applies to the big-boys :)). The same goes for AWIcons Pro.

Therefore, the price has suddenly come down to $19.98 + $29.95 for AWIcons Standard. I am in the process of trying to get a 50% discount for AWIcons Standard and Pro ;)