topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Right click selected text and jump to location in regedit (or similar)  (Read 5916 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have been looking for this program all over Google and I am sure it is there.  There may even be more than one.  I have so many of these tools gathered over the years I may already even have it. :-\

The way it worked was that if you selected a lines of text that was a registry key (HKCU or HkeyCurrent User etc )  then right clicked your selection, you had the option to open reg-edit or another registry editor at the location of the text you had highlighted.  It seems it may have even worked to the level of searching for words or text wherever it appeared it int registry but the best part was being able to jump right to the key that needed to be edited without having to scroll for it.

I used it to clean up a few systems several years back where a virus had made specific changes to several registry keys and with this kind of search ability it was easy to locate the keys I knew of as well as find those that I did not yet know about as they all had similar changes made to them.  I could either search for the key or search for the change and it was extremely fast.

UPDATE:  I located this from searching DC history.  Have not yet read the whole thread and it may lead me to the answer.

https://www.donation....msg359829#msg359829

Apparently,  back in 2014 I had already been on DC looking for this same tool.
Further update:  Apparently not.    This was on a similar but different topic.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:01 PM by questorfla »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The one I use and simplest is RegJump from SysInternals.  Just paste the registry key as param after regjump on the command line.

I am sure there are guis for it and other interfaces.  Some use regjump.exe and some do it themselves.  If you search regjump you should find a bunch.

Edit: On the SysInternals one see the thread on the forum if using a 64 bit OS
http://forum.sysinte...stem_topic19649.html

Nir Sofer pops up again.  I have his RegScanner utility also.  If you download NirLauncher 9 times out of 10 the quirky utility you need will be in there.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:27 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also take a look at this one.  It comes in both x86 and x64 exes.  2014 is the latest so it should know about Windows 8 etc..

http://www.sordum.or...try-key-jumper-v1-1/

Edit:  It figures I already had the 2013 version on my machine.  :)  Updated to the latest.  This sounds like what you want.  Select a reg key text and hit a hotkey to open regedit there.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:57 PM by MilesAhead »

majoMO

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using here 'Registry Key Jumper' - tool suggested by MilesAhead above.

An excellent tool that also I think is "sounds like what you want".

Also you can have a list of keys (that you can add) to quick acess.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
   Edit:  One fly in the ointment.  There is no means to run a utility such as NirSoft DriveLetterView elevated from WSCC(trying to delete a letter without elevation produces the "you do not have sufficient privilege... yadda yadda" in W8.0.)  This makes it hit and miss to launch WSCC in hopes of launching NirSoft and other utilities.  NirLauncher has a run with options button to run each utility as administrator.  I sent a feature request from the WSCC web site to add a means to run the selected utility elevated via hotkey.  I hope it is adopted because I love the way this wrapper gui is organized.

Speaking of handy Guis I ran across Windows System Control Center  It comes in installer, portable, and portableapps-ized versions.  Back in 2008 Lanux posted about it here:  https://www.donation....msg138801#msg138801

I did the installer.  A nice feature is the update button.  It checks all the utilities for new releases and gets them if the current one is outdated.  I like that part the most.  Looks well thought-out.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:25 PM by MilesAhead »

Rick998

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
   Edit:  One fly in the ointment.  There is no means to run a utility such as NirSoft DriveLetterView elevated from WSCC(trying to delete a letter without elevation produces the "you do not have sufficient privilege... yadda yadda" in W8.0.)  This makes it hit and miss to launch WSCC in hopes of launching NirSoft and other utilities.

In WSCC, just click on the icon (not description) of a utility in the right-hand pane, e.g. NirSoft DriveLetterView. In the menu that appears, click on Properties... at the bottom then click on the Run tab. Put a tick in the Run as administrator checkbox.

wscc.pngRight click selected text and jump to location in regedit (or similar)

I'm using WSCC 2.5.1.0 so perhaps your request has been implemented?

P.S. - If WSCC reports an update to a new version of itself then always do this update first instead of updates to NirSoft and Sysinternals utilities. It's how WSCC adds new utilities to the GUI rather than just updates to existing utilities.

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:54 PM by Rick998 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
for Firefox:

new: https://addons.mozil...don/open-regedit-key
old: https://addons.mozil...ddon/open-in-regedit

Open selected registry key directly in the registry editor from context menu.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
   Edit:  One fly in the ointment.  There is no means to run a utility such as NirSoft DriveLetterView elevated from WSCC(trying to delete a letter without elevation produces the "you do not have sufficient privilege... yadda yadda" in W8.0.)  This makes it hit and miss to launch WSCC in hopes of launching NirSoft and other utilities.

In WSCC, just click on the icon (not description) of a utility in the right-hand pane, e.g. NirSoft DriveLetterView. In the menu that appears, click on Properties... at the bottom then click on the Run tab. Put a tick in the Run as administrator checkbox.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I'm using WSCC 2.5.1.0 so perhaps your request has been implemented?

P.S. - If WSCC reports an update to a new version of itself then always do this update first instead of updates to NirSoft and Sysinternals utilities. It's how WSCC adds new utilities to the GUI rather than just updates to existing utilities.

Hope this helps...

Thanks.  I don't know how I missed the run as admin checkbox.  Apparently the option was there all along.  No doubt they ignored my suggestion as being from a crazy person.  Demanding they add stuff that is already there.  Heh heh

It must be the clean air in Miami getting to me.  :)  cough cough

Edit: I see no way to save the checkbox setting though.  I right click, then click Properties, check the box that says Run As Administrator in the Run tab.  Now I click the button at the right.  It runs DriveLetterView as administrator and I can delete a drive.  Now I close WSCC.  Open it again, right click on DriveLetterView and click Properties.  The RunAsAdmin checkbox in the Run tab is unchecked nagain.  So I have to do the litany on every run.  Not tops in convenience.

Unless there is a setting to save settings which I don't see.  Also I notice that double clicking no longer launches anything.  I have to click the button on the right column just left of the '?'

Edit2:  Ok it's the same old same old Windows 8 not letting files be written under Program Files.  I installed the free version 2.5.1.0 Portable under C:\Utils\WSCC and the setting is saved.  It did fail to install 5 files but I am not sure which ones.  Maybe they were phased out on NirSoft.  But it seems to work OK now.   :Thmbsup:

The 3.x version is a trial version. I did not realize it before.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:47 PM by MilesAhead »