ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

desktop shortcut to do a Simple task

(1/7) > >>

questorfla:
This is something that was requested by a friend that I don't see a simpler way to handle.  They want me to create  desktop shortcut to do the equivalent of pressing Ctrl+0 <is a Zero>.  She only has one Ctrl button on far left with zero on far right on her Surface pro.

This combination is the one to revert all ZOOMED screens back to standard size and I saw her problem as it occurred but IMHO while an icon might be nice, i think it would be better to create a different hotkey.  When her screen is ZOOMED to 500% she cant see the X to get out and that is what she keeps trying to do.  An icon would also be covered up.  But that is what she asked for. 

Still, if there is an alternative way to make a different combination of keys do the same thing?  Maybe as a backup in case she cannot see the desktop icons at all?

Maybe Ctrl+Fnc+Winkey which are all next to each other on her system.
If possible, i need to do this without adding any additional software like AHK etc.

BGM:
You know, all windows shortcuts can already be used to react to keyboard shortcuts.

Say you make a shortcut on your desktop to notepad.
Just open the file properties and go to "shortcut" and set the "shortcut key" by setting the cursor in it and pushing the hotkey you want for it.
Only problem is that if you forget that you set it there, it will be hard to figure out where it is!
I don't know if this works in a Surface.

If you want to do other things, I would suggest looking into Autohotkey.

MilesAhead:
I would take a look at the Autohotkey help for remapping keys.  Also instead of a desktop icon you could have a tray menu command to send the key combination.  See the help for Send and SnedMode Input.  Send command in the help has a list of key names.

The key remapping is often a one-liner.  For example if I want to press Shift F7 instead of control alt del I could do

--- Code: Autohotkey ---Sendmode Input +F7::^!Del
If just using the hotkey symbols on the right hand side does not work you can use Send,{key}{key2}{etc}  instead.

questorfla:
Thanks, to you both.
But I was told i could not install AHK at all.  That was my first suggestion to her as i said in my question.
I have many key re programmers made to do exactly ONLY reprogram the keyboard.  But she doesn't want anything on there so..
All i could think of was find the character code for the CTRL key and the Zero key and try to batch it that wold give her the desktop icon anyway

MilesAhead:
Sorry.  I did not read the last line on the OP.   :-[

I am not familiar with those devices.  Is there perhaps a programmable key that has a setting in Control Panel or something under the keyboard driver to send out a user defined sequence?  I used a KVMA switch for years and they were never the same on different flavors of Windows.  So I never did much with them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version