topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Twist Tie alternative?  (Read 23666 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Twist Tie alternative?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Just because I hate it when a bud falls out and I could get them for $8 I bought these JVC Earclip Buds

My husband loves that style because of how well they stay put in his ears. I think the pairs I bought for him from CVS were like $3.99 or $4.99, in-store.

Personally, I won't even try them because they still plug into your ears, which means they will make my ears itch like crazy. Plus they don't look like they would be too comfortable for someone that wears glasses.

I prefer the old school kind with the headband, that can sit over the ears (or in front of them, if I also need to hear what is going on around me).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 06:55 AM »
Just because I hate it when a bud falls out and I could get them for $8 I bought these JVC Earclip Buds

My husband loves that style because of how well they stay put in his ears. I think the pairs I bought for him from CVS were like $3.99 or $4.99, in-store.

Personally, I won't even try them because they still plug into your ears, which means they will make my ears itch like crazy. Plus they don't look like they would be too comfortable for someone that wears glasses.

I prefer the old school kind with the headband, that can sit over the ears (or in front of them, if I also need to hear what is going on around me).

The worst decision I made afa earphones was to purchase a Sony over the h

The worst decision I made afa earphones was to purchase a Sony over the ear set of phones for $100.  The sound was great.  But my father did not feel the Florida heat.  When it got to 95F I had to beg him to put the A/C on.  So the headset stayed folded up in the pouch.  Plus they tended to get way slimy with ear wax.  On the ear is much better.  I was thinking if there exists or could be made a set that did not touch the ear at all.  But was positioned near the ear and had a wave guide to project the sound into the ear canal.  They are probably already out there somewhere.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I was thinking if there exists or could be made a set that did not touch the ear at all.  But was positioned near the ear and had a wave guide to project the sound into the ear canal.  They are probably already out there somewhere.

You might want to check out "bone conduction" earphones on Amazon.  I have no idea how well they work, but they sound like they'd be of interest to people who don't want something inside of or covering their ears.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 12:05 PM »
"bone conduction" earphones

Thanks for the heads up.  ;)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 04:34 PM »
I was thinking if there exists or could be made a set that did not touch the ear at all.  But was positioned near the ear and had a wave guide to project the sound into the ear canal.  They are probably already out there somewhere.

I couldn't help but remember this. A friend of mine had one in the 80's, back in high school, before anyone had even heard of the Sony Walkman.

http://www.theatlant...e-the-terror/279474/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 05:57 PM »

I couldn't help but remember this. A friend of mine had one in the 80's, back in high school, before anyone had even heard of the Sony Walkman.

http://www.theatlant...e-the-terror/279474/

I wonder if anyone has done research on this stuff?  Like effects of prolonged usage.  I don't know if I'd want my bone o vibrate for hours at a time.  Especially the ones that sit near the temple.  Anything that goes near that trigeminal nerve makes me nervous.  I was thinking more like a speaker or the end of a wave guide that hovered near the ear canal opening without touching.  Then you would still get ambient sound and not need to pull the earbud out when someone talks to you.  But it is likely more feasible cost wise to do it with the vibration.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 11:13 PM »

I have a pair of these: MEE Audio M6P

Bit more expensive but the sound quality is excellent and the memory wire is a lot more comfortable than the plastic variations.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 06:49 AM »
memory wire

Seems a simpler way to adjust to various sizes I must say.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 01:42 AM »
Something I just saw in the local $2 shop, (for $2.49 :) ):

Soft coated wire tie, cut it to length, ~4mm in diameter:
IMG_20160420_134343.jpgTwist Tie alternative?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 07:47 AM »

Thanks.  I'll have to check out some of the dollar stores in town.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 11:28 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Just a note with a different kind I got that looks like the same...Be careful with it as if it is like some I purchased the metal wire from the inside part can start showing from each side occasionally.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 04:35 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Just a note with a different kind I got that looks like the same...Be careful with it as if it is like some I purchased the metal wire from the inside part can start showing from each side occasionally.

Thanks for the tip.  Next time I am in DollarTree store I will look for the twisty tie spool.  Supposedly they have a cutter hanging off the spool, come with a refill, and are a buck.  It is just a matter if it is in stock at the particular store.  Ordering for pickup in store online there's always some minimum order.  I don't really need to carry around four of them.  :)

It will be such a relief when I get a place to have things like a closet and a junk drawer.  ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 08:11 AM »
Here is what I ended up getting:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24784214

Free shipping and since it was US mail it was no problem sending it to GENERAL DELIVERY.  Instead of twisting and tying I think what I may do is wrap a short length of wire around stuff like USB cable at two ends.  To unroll it all I will have to do is pull the 2 twisty wires.  This spool should last me for quite awhile.  :)

Edit:   btw these are similar to the twist ties on a loaf of bread.  Perhaps 3 times stronger.  The built in cutter on the spool is a bit of a pain.  But the line can be cut easily with scissors.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:40 AM by MilesAhead »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54 AM »
I asked my daughter about this, and she came up with something I didn't think of...hair clips.

She says these are fantastic for bundling the cords from earphones, and also for keeping it clipped to a specific part of your jacket, while wearing them.

k2-_8a412a5a-432b-4214-80c7-0d9d9f434fa6.v2[1].jpg

She says you can get them about 8-10 in a pack at a $1 store.

She also wanted me to tell everyone not to throw away those sock hanger hooks, especially the ones with the double hooks on them. She says to hold them with the hooks pointing up, slip it over your belt, and the rest will come to you like a bright light in a dark tunnel. And when you figure it out, you'll never want to throw them away again. (she considers them essentials for camping)

sock-hangers[1].jpg

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 04:48 PM »
I asked my daughter about this, and she came up with something I didn't think of...hair clips.

I was thinking of those kind where you press the end and they separate.  The "H" shaped ones.  I can't find a picture of one online.  Something like that would be quick to put on.  But I'm not sure if the end you press to release might not get tangled.  Also an "alligator clip" used by electronic techs may work if the teeth were rubber coated.

But this wire works pretty well.  It takes a while to judge how long to cut the thing in each case.  I could have purchased 4 spools for $1 each and picked them up at Dollar Tree.  But now the minimum order is a case of 24.  The clerk at the Dollar Tree store told me they had not had any of those twisty tie spools in a long time in her store.  But I am pretty sure I saw the plastic hair clips.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2016, 06:09 PM »
I noticed that earbuds that have that loop on the wire you can slide down near the ear pieces resist tangling.  I found a use for my little bag of zip ties.  I put a zip tie near the ear pieces and slowly reduce the size of the loop making sure I can slide it along the wire.  Once the sizing seems right I cut the excess.

Preliminary results have been good.  I have a traditional set up buds I added the loop to.  And I have another set with small speakers that clip to the ear.  Both have resisted serious tangling since installing the loops.  I was using a rubber band after looping the wire to keep things tidy.  But fishing the elastic out of a box or whatever when storing the buds was a pita.  This way I just slide the loop near the ear pieces and roll up the wire.   :Thmbsup: