topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Twist Tie alternative?  (Read 23665 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Twist Tie alternative?
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:26 PM »
I am wondering if anyone has a good alternative to Twist Ties for keeping stuff like ear bud wires, usb connector cords, and other stuff that has small gauge wire connected to it, from getting all tangled?

Granted Twist Ties are cheap but they can be a bit of a pain to twist and untwist.  I tried using bobby pins but they are too straight.  I was thinking along the lines of small padded alligator clips.  Maybe something I could find in a Dollar Store.

I don't have a junk drawer for these kind of resources.  I have to pretty much buy everything I need for specific purposes.  With all the hw guys out there I figure there must be ingenious solutions too.    :)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Twist Tie alternative?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:47 PM »
Zip-lock sandwich baggies. PS - These also work great on sewing thread spools to prevent a classic rat's nest situation.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:22 AM by holt »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:58 PM »
a piece of cardboard (or equivalent) with some slots will do the trick, at least for the fine stuff like earphones.  Possibly bulky, but all in one solution

Or velcro, though you would still have discrete bundles

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I did find some 2" x 3" zip lock bags but they wanted $5 for 300.  I guess twist ties are not that bad if I can get ones better than the bread twist ties.  I'll have to check the dollar stores.

For my player I can just wrap the buds around it since it is in a baggy by itself.  The other stuff like USB cords I only use once a day for charging.  Unwrapping a twist tie would not be a big burden.  :D

I just thought someone may have invented a home made thing like a rubber lined alligator clip.  :)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:55 PM »
I just thought someone may have invented a home made thing like a rubber lined alligator clip.

this reminds me, I saw someone recommending hair clips for bundling cords (though IIRC they were talking about power cords, but the principle applies  ;))

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 11:32 PM »
sheep shank knot
"The sheepshank is a type of knot that is used to shorten a rope or take up slack. This knot is not stable. It will fall apart under too much load or too little load."
So next, you need to learn how to set a line of pegs in a deadhead beam, to 'load' them under their own weight. Never t'fear, we'll make a proper seafarer and star voyager out of you yet, Matey.  :up:
PS - i was half kidding around, but I do seem to recall seeing where professional work crews use big wall pegs to hang up aircraft refueling hoses or electrical cable sets between service jobs on ships or at airports and such like.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:25 AM by holt »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:59 AM »
sheep shank knot
"The sheepshank is a type of knot that is used to shorten a rope or take up slack. This knot is not stable. It will fall apart under too much load or too little load."
So next, you need to learn how to set a line of pegs in a deadhead beam, to 'load' them under their own weight. Never t'fear, we'll make a proper seafarer and star voyager out of you yet, Matey.  :up:

I saw some tutorials how to loop cord first one way, then the other, so that the cord does not develop a tension from being wrapped one way.  Looks like it works for stuff with room to store.  But I am basically looking for a way for a dozen different things in my cord/earphone bag to peacefully coexist.  I haven't seen the velcro.  Perhaps they will have some in a dollar store.  But I suspect the twisty tie will end up being the cheapest solution.

I also saw some tutorials for figure 8 knots.  But in comments people pointed out bending the internal wire is not conducive to long life.  Not that the earbuds last long anyway.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 09:09 AM »
I found these at Walmart.com

http://www.walmart.c...r-Wire-Wrap/47593384

With free shipping it looks worth a try.  Eight "fish" should be all I need for earbud wires.  For heavier stuff like USB cable a regular twist tie should be good enough.  I just need to find a geek to bum some off.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 11:37 AM »
I just thought someone may have invented a home made thing like a rubber lined alligator clip.

this reminds me, I saw someone recommending hair clips for bundling cords (though IIRC they were talking about power cords, but the principle applies  ;))

Along those lines are the rubber band style hair ties. And having had long hair for the past - many decades - I've found occasion to use them for all sorts of things in a pinch. It's really just like using a rubber band, except hair ties are a larger easier to use diameter.

Did I mention they're ultra cheap?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I use a small square of heavy illustration board like Bainbridge. I punch a hole and cut a slit on each end, stick one end of of the wire in the notch, then wrap, and hook the other end in the other notch. Since I make them individually I can size them for a perfect fit every time. And since I'm using scrap board, they cost me nothing to make or replace once they get worn out.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 01:39 PM »
I use Gear Ties, they work great.

http://www.lowes.com...71-a0ab-bdb5069b6a86

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 01:50 PM »
I use Gear Ties, they work great.

http://www.lowes.com...71-a0ab-bdb5069b6a86

Looks like that would work.  For grins I looked at the zip ties available at walmart.com.  I figure for USB cables and old buds I save for emergency use they should be ok if I leave a bit of a gap when I put them on.  I got lucky and found a bag of 50 for $2.99 with free shipping:

http://www.walmart.c...ion-SAPT143/37838919

Small items like that they usually throw in an envelope and send via regular mail.  I should not have a problem with anyone refusing to take delivery etc..

Plus if I don't lose them they are bound to come in handy for something else eventually.  :)

The clips you have are along the idea that made me try the bobby pins.  But the smooth insides make them easier to slide on I am sure.   :Thmbsup:

Heh.  In the picture they look like metal clips.  Like smooth bobby pins.  I didn't read the copy.  My bad.   :-[

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 07:28 AM by MilesAhead »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 02:52 PM »
Tarbuck knot for bundles or loops. Works well using small nylon cord. Slide knot to tighten it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Tarbuck knot for bundles or loops. Works well using small nylon cord. Slide knot to tighten it.

Thanks for the response.  Back in the days when I had a couple of PC Towers under a table you should have seen the nest of wires!!  Heh heh.  I should have done it neatly then.  But if it worked I didn't fix it in those days.

Now I am mainly looking to keep things will small wires from tangling.  Stuff like earbud wires and usb cables that go to hand held players etc..  I have some zip ties ordered for stuff I will be storing for a long period such as old spare earbuds..  For stuff I need to unwrap all the time I am going to try those rubber fish wrap thingies.. if they ever arrive in the mail.  :)

For the USB cords I'll probably either use a rubber band or a twisty tie.  Just so it doesn't get tangled up with the other smaller wires.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 04:50 PM »
I've also seen cardboard tubes (like toilet roll centres) used to store cables - just bundle the cables and push em through the tube.  Stops anything else getting caught up, but probably takes up a bit more space. 

You would probably need to experiment a bit to find a size that suits (and it doesn't have to be cardboard)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 08:33 PM »
For grins I looked at the zip ties available at walmart.com.  I figure for USB cables and old buds I save for emergency use they should be ok if I leave a bit of a gap when I put them on.  I got lucky and found a bag of 50 for $2.99 with free shipping:

Small items like that they usually throw in an envelope and send via regular mail.  I should not have a problem with anyone refusing to take delivery etc..

I would have gone with the reusable version for what you want:

http://www.walmart.c...ner-3x115mm/47560479

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 08:58 AM »
For grins I looked at the zip ties available at walmart.com.  I figure for USB cables and old buds I save for emergency use they should be ok if I leave a bit of a gap when I put them on.  I got lucky and found a bag of 50 for $2.99 with free shipping:

I would have gone with the reusable version for what you want:

http://www.walmart.c...ner-3x115mm/47560479

Never heard of reusable zip ties. Then again I only have a few cables in baggies to keep untangled.  $2.99 seems ok if they ever arrive.  I seem to be getting funky delivery tracking results on everything I ordered in the last week.  Especially if the carrier uses USPS.  I guess it is a good time to stick with site to store pickup when possible.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 05:25 PM »
@Milesahead: Just had a package RTS from Miami, despite using the same address for the recipient that has been used to successfully receive items from Amazon.

I've been told that Miami is one of the worst USPS departments in the country - and this was by the USPS people that were helping a friend try and get the package delivered.

So attempt number 2  :-\
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:58 AM by 4wd »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12 AM »
@Milesahead: Just had a package RTS from Miami, despite using the same address for the recipient that has been used to successfully receive items from Amazon.

I've been told that Miami is one of the worst USPS departments in the country - and this was by the USPS people that were helping a friend try and get the package delivered.

So attempt number 2  :-\

Miami and South Florida generally seem to have a different rhythm than I am used to from the Northeast.  It has taken me several years to learn to keep my heart rate down while waiting in line for stuff to happen.  It is just a world unto itself.  It seems to go more smoothly when I am able to stay relaxed.  It must be a holdover from the old days when there was no air conditioning down here.  Too humid to hurry when doing things.  Stuff progresses in its own time.  :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Q Knot: a cross between a rubber band and a zip tie (reusable)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/47002765

k2-_c31f1fbe-7c41-4047-b09d-c79c8e793ba5.v1[1].jpg

You can also find clips that look like these in some dollar stores. (these are vintage ones from Tupperware, though)

I have a bunch of clear ones that came in a 5-pack.

s-l300[1].jpg
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 09:26 AM by app103 »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 07:54 AM »
Q Knot: a cross between a rubber band and a zip tie (reusable)

Thanks.  Those look very cool.  Like now and then a power cord will come with one on the cord.  I wish there was a dollar store with more techie stuff.  Now and then I go to DollarTree but they all involve a lot of walking from here.  There are non-chain dollar stores in downtown but most do not have the "everything is a dollar" rule like the Tree does. Plus to find anything in less than an hour I have to ask the owner.  I hate that.

Speaking of twist ties it seems tough to find any for sale at a low price that aren't the paper covered kind.  I have noplace to store and no use for a giant box of garbage bags to get them included.  :D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 08:55 AM »
I wish there was a dollar store with more techie stuff.

I am lucky to have a large one locally that everything really is $1 or less, and they stock some great stuff. My daughter even got a copy of the vintage game Pharaoh and Cleopatra for $1, some years back.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 10:54 AM »
For the purposes you describe, I use the hell out of these:

http://www.amazon.co...usable/dp/B001E1Y5O6

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 11:03 AM »
Actually, I should probably qualify that a bit.  I use those velcro cable ties for cables, cords, larger headphones, etc.  For my earbuds, I use a slight variation on this technique: https://www.youtube..../watch?v=fY9LIFKlDaU

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Just because I hate it when a bud falls out and I could get them for $8 I bought these JVC Earclip Buds

They are a bit cumbersome to put on.  But once in they are snug and comfortable.  I have never owned $50 buds so have nothing high end to compare them to.  But they sound better than my Koss buds.  The main thing I noticed was instruments would be in left,center or right location.  Like the separation was much more pronounced.

They have a loop that slides down the wires to the clips which reduces the chance of tangling while in the pocket or baggie.  With these the Sandisk sounds quite decent.  I recommend them for anyone who likes to spend $10 or less on buds.  I changed the Sandisk eq. setting from max bass to the Jazz preset and they sound fine.  On my Philips player I left everything the same except I notched the volume down 3 ticks.

Anyway a bargain if you can conveniently pick them up at a Walmart store avoiding shipping fees.