ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Diskovery

(1/7) > >>

apankrat:
Gentlemen,

I'd like to solicit your esteemed opinions on a piece of software of mine called Diskovery.

https://pipemetrics.com/diskovery/beta

There's a longer description on the home page, but in short it's basically an app that enumerates all local drives and volumes, extracts all information it can about them and then renders it nicely in the UI. In particular, it shows drives' SMART counters, temperature and it also allows to look into RAID arrays and see their individual drives († though some conditions certainly apply, YMMV, etc.)

It started as a unit test runner for a SMART diagnostics module for a backup app, but then as I played with it I kept adding this and that and it sort of started to evolve into something useful in its own right. Fast forward laughably short 3 months of abandoned kids, neglected wife and alienated friends and here it is - a brand new pile of bits entering its beta.

I haven't shown it publicly anywhere else, so I'm interested in all and any opinions - from the general idea to the functionality to the UI design to what have you and then some.

Thanks,
Alex

apankrat:
A screenshot. How could I forget that.

Jibz:

Would it be possible to display any useful information even without admin privileges?

apankrat:
Would it be possible to display any useful information even without admin privileges?
-Jibz (March 30, 2016, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Drive devices can actually be opened without admin rights if using NULL or FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES access, but this will cause vast majority of IOCTLs to fail, so you won't get much back. And any attempts to talk to the VDS service or open RAID controller device will fail outright. I started with the code that can work with and without admin rights, but the latter proved to be plain useless, so I scraped that.

Jibz:
Okay, fair enough. Maybe note that the app requires admin rights on the page? if it says "just download and run", some people might try it on work computers where they do not have admin rights.

The UI looks very nice, I'll try and run it with admin rights later on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version