ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PC WILL NOT BOOT TO WIN 7 PRO WITH USB PLUGGED IN

<< < (2/3) > >>

taglaser62:
4WD

i installed devcon, placed it in c: root and wrote a small test batch file to execute the disable for the device in question.

pause
c:\devcon disable "@USB\VID_29BF&PID_0220&REV_0002"
pause
c:\devcon disable "@USB\VID_29BF&PID_0220"
pause

reports "no matching devices found"

suggestions?

Shades
i will look more into AMI BIOS options

4wd:
Sorry, my mistake  :-[ - you need the Device instance path from the device properties, not Hardware ID, (got my terms mixed up).

This value will change if you unplug it from one USB port and plug it in another, so as long as it stays in the same USB port you won't need to change the command once it's working.

ie. Here you can see the Device instance path has changed when I plugged it into another port:

You only need the one command to disable/enable, eg.

C:\>devcon disable "@USB\VID_045E&PID_0779&MI_00\6&5372223&1&0000"
USB\VID_045E&PID_0779&MI_00\6&5372223&1&0000                : Disabled
1 device(s) disabled.

C:\>
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
Where this kind of USB options are located in the BIOS/UEFI differs (a bit) with each make and model of motherboard, so you will likely have to consult your manual. Or identify which motherboard model is inside your computer and see if the manufacturer still provides a downloadable manual for it.-Shades (March 21, 2016, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm with Shades on the BIOS angle. I ran into much the same issue awhile back with a headless Dell server that wouldn't boot with the (internal RDX) USB backup drive enabled. IIRC I ended up having to disable the legacy USB BIOS support - or something to that effect that sounded completely unrelated - to get the thing to finally behave.

taglaser62:
thank you to all of you.

was a bios issue.

needed to disable legacy usb...

rebooted many times today with no problems!

mouser:
Nice teamwork  :up:

If i ever have a similar problem now i know what to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version