ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

PC WILL NOT BOOT TO WIN 7 PRO WITH USB PLUGGED IN

(1/3) > >>

taglaser62:
I have a device that is designed to resemble a HID. when it is plugged in via USB the PC will not boot. if i put it in after boot it functions correctly. in have used this same device on advantech pca-6010 SBC's  with award bios. my current problem is with a pca-6028 SBC and american megatrends bios. justs keeps rebooting to "fix windows" or "start normally" screen. neither will boot.

i have looked into bios boot sequence. boot order is CD then HDD, there is no USB listed in boot order.

i have reinstalled win 7 pro and done all updates. i also installed all drivers that came with PCA-6028 SBC.

unplugging usb device at boot is not feasible. this is a production machine and operators that might shut it down / start it up can not be unplugging / plugging USB's.

i can get it to boot when device is not plugged in. just do not know what to alter so that the next boot with it plugged in is successful.

almost seems like the bios does its thing but then the very early stages of the win 7 pro boot up does not like something about this device.

I have contacted the USB mfgr & PC mrgr to no avail.

i am looking for recommendations for hw or sw that might be used to delay power to this usb port.

i also saw a 2005 thread ( https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=28940.msg270246#msg270246 ) on using windows DEVCON with windows Scheduler to turn usb port off at logoff and on after boot, but i do not know anything specific about ho to do this or if it will really work.

what is the latest thinking on this?

4wd:
You could use Devcon with a Logoff/Logon script under Group Policy Editor:

PC WILL NOT BOOT TO WIN 7 PRO WITH USB PLUGGED IN

Logoff: devcon disable "@ ....."

Logon: devcon enable "@ ....."

You need the Hardware Instance ID Device Instance Path, (eg. see this example), obtained from Device Manager.

This assumes, of course, that it's not really the BIOS that is the problem - I have the same thing with one computer if a flash drive is plugged in at boot.

taglaser62:
thank you for your reply.

so let's see if i have this right...
1. install DEVCON on PC (BTW the file devcon.7z in example thread would not run / open / extract - do you a place i can get just it?). I take it that LGPE script calls devcon and I do not need to put devcon somewhere so it runs each boot up.
2. find HW ID(s) for violating USB device (if more than one is listed then do i disable and enable all of them? see file i attached showing multiple)
3. in LGPE / local computer policy / user config / windows settings / scripts (logon/logoff) i would put in scripts you listed with HW ID(s) i looked up.

so i would then NOT use windows scheduler?

does the LGPE run before the programs in startup folder? (the ones that use the USB device in question). i hope so.

on another note i am having trouble getting LGPE to run on my home PC. getting "MMC could not create the snap-in".
not listed as an available snap-in in MMC
may not be issue when i get back to the actual PC at work tomorrow.

4wd:
1. install DEVCON on PC (BTW the file devcon.7z in example thread would not run / open / extract - do you a place i can get just it?). I take it that LGPE script calls devcon and I do not need to put devcon somewhere so it runs each boot up.-taglaser62 (March 20, 2016, 07:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

File downloads, extracts, and runs fine here - attached as plain ZIP.

Devcon needs to be in the path or you need to put full path to it in command.

2. find HW ID(s) for violating USB device (if more than one is listed then do i disable and enable all of them? see file i attached showing multiple)
--- End quote ---

Top one is the Hardware Instance you want.  See here.

3. in LGPE / local computer policy / user config / windows settings / scripts (logon/logoff) i would put in scripts you listed with HW ID(s) i looked up.

so i would then NOT use windows scheduler?
--- End quote ---

You can use Task Scheduler instead.

does the LGPE run before the programs in startup folder? (the ones that use the USB device in question). i hope so.
--- End quote ---

This should answer your question: Logon Phase - Windows 7 Tutorial

on another note i am having trouble getting LGPE to run on my home PC. getting "MMC could not create the snap-in".
not listed as an available snap-in in MMC
--- End quote ---

Pro or Home?  It doesn't exist under Home.

Shades:
With decent motherboard models from 4 to 5 years back you have the option in BIOS/UEFI to control which (type of) USB devices are enabled at boot time. At least the Asus models in my possession do. In case you have no option to work with the snap-in provided by 4wd.

Where this kind of USB options are located in the BIOS/UEFI differs (a bit) with each make and model of motherboard, so you will likely have to consult your manual. Or identify which motherboard model is inside your computer and see if the manufacturer still provides a downloadable manual for it.

Software that will help you identify what hardware is inside your computer is: SIW  (available as freeware & commercially licensed), but there are quite some alternatives if you so desire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version