ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Start Menu 10 Pro "skip start screen"

<< < (4/4)

cranioscopical:
I tried Classic Shell awhile back.  It was flakier than Start Menu X or 10
-MilesAhead (March 29, 2016, 07:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm, it works for me FWIW. I have it on one machine of mine (4.2.5). Start 10 is on my wife's machine and it's behaving well also.

4wd:
--- End quote ---
Hmm, it works for me FWIW. I have it on one machine of mine (4.2.5).-cranioscopical (April 08, 2016, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's worked perfectly for me since I had Windows 8.1, (now 10), installed across 3 desktops and a netbook.

MilesAhead:
--- End quote ---
Hmm, it works for me FWIW. I have it on one machine of mine (4.2.5).-cranioscopical (April 08, 2016, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's worked perfectly for me since I had Windows 8.1, (now 10), installed across 3 desktops and a netbook.
-4wd (April 08, 2016, 08:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

This W 8.0 does have its foibles.  System Restore does not work.  That is why I felt compelled to buy RollBackRX Pro so I could take snapshots instead of doing system images every single time I installed a utility.  I suspect the machine is open box.  But it does work so...

I would probably just put Windows 7 Pro on if I had a base of operations.  But I don't want to experiment too much with the only machine I have.  The public PCs in the public and school library you are reduced to a Guest account.  You can only save stuff to USB.  Don't even think about setting a system setting!!!

So until I have a computer room someplace I have to wing it.  Other than having to replace the transformer power plug doodad at least mechanically it has been sound.  But stuff that works on most PCs I have to try it and make sure.  Like I am sure ToolWiz Time Machine works for many people.  But it won't work on this PC.  Neither will Shadow Defender.  When initializing Shadow Mode it just hangs.

I think the problem is with how this thing boots not with Start Menu 10.  It did work for awhile.  Which is the strange part.

wraith808:
System Restore does not work.
-MilesAhead (April 09, 2016, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's worked for me.  What do you mean it does not work?

MilesAhead:
System Restore does not work.
-MilesAhead (April 09, 2016, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's worked for me.  What do you mean it does not work?
-wraith808 (April 10, 2016, 06:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

It has never worked right on this Laptop.  The machine was only 2 days old and I had to use a restore point.  It hung during reboot for 20 minutes before it finally came back up successful.  Nine times out of ten it would come up after booting with the dialog that system restore did not complete.  On this Laptop it is useless.  This is the only Windows PC I ever owned that had a non functional SR.  That's another reason I suspect it is open box.

Fortunately I got RollbackRX Pro at a discount.  It cost me something around $37.  Not perfect but it does allow me to return to a snapshot quickly.  It is more thorough than SR.

Anyway I gave details in other threads already so I don't want to rehash it all here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version