ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Surface Pro 4 (etc); observations from long term use?

<< < (10/11) > >>

wraith808:
It's a nice device... and I really love it after having it in hand.  My annoyances so far have nothing to do with the device.

I'm trying to get it set up, and having 128GB means I'm making some immediate concessions in order to make sure I don't feel constrained later.  One of those is buying a 128GB card, and using that for data, while I use the main drive for more integral things.

Cubby works fine with an SD card.  Not so much Dropbox and ... Onedrive?  Really Microsoft?  You tout that as one of the possibilities for adding storage... and then your own program, which you also tout as having things always available, can't use it?

I think I've found a way around it using symlinks, but it shouldn't be necessary.

xtabber:
Microsoft Microsoft has a 5-year $400 million sponsorship deal with the National Football League to provide Surface tablets to all teams for coaches to use on the sidelines during games, along with supporting IT infrastructure.

Yesterday, Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots, the most successful coach in the league for the past two decades, demoted the tablets to the bench, saying they were not reliable enough to use during games.

wraith808:
Microsoft Microsoft has a 5-year $400 million sponsorship deal with the National Football League to provide Surface tablets to all teams for coaches to use on the sidelines during games, along with supporting IT infrastructure.

Yesterday, Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots, the most successful coach in the league for the past two decades, demoted the tablets to the bench, saying they were not reliable enough to use during games.
-xtabber (October 19, 2016, 06:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I think the title is more sensational than the news actually is:

Belichick goes on to note that because the league manages the tablets (which sit on Microsoft-branded carts during game days) the team's own IT department is unable to troubleshoot any problems with the hardware during the week and the coaches only get access to the tablets "a few hours" before game time.

--- End quote ---

Looks more like an IT and ownership problem than a hardware problem.  Or maybe a tablet problem in general, from other quotes that aren't as sensational:

Another news outlet used more direct quotes from this coach when reporting this story, in which he said it wasn't the Microsoft Surface per se that didn't suit his work flow, but all tablets.
That's not too shocking; designers such as Marc Newson and Jony Ive are known for known for preferring pen and paper for parts of their work flow.

There was also an episode of Have I Got News For You, when Jeremy Clarkson threw a pen at Ian Hislop. We do not know if Clarkson would have preferred to have thrown a 2lb computer at Mr Hislop instead.

--- End quote ---

A good quote from the comments:

Wrong form-factor, wrong application
On the touchline, what do electronics give you that a whiteboard does not - apart from cost and unreliability?
Backup solution is an extra pen and a paper towel. With planning, you have a play book, which everyone has memorised and the coach may have printed out.
As in smartphone maps, proper planning means they aren't really required. IT is often used when people don't know stuff.
IT is not the solution to everything.

--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
Personally, I prefer pen and paper for most 'Tablet Type' tasks. Even though my hand writing is shit...it's still a more fluid medium for me to work with.

sri:
... Onedrive?  Really Microsoft?  You tout that as one of the possibilities for adding storage... and then your own program, which you also tout as having things always available, can't use it?

I think I've found a way around it using symlinks, but it shouldn't be necessary.
-wraith808 (October 08, 2016, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdU7FrmM4hU

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version