ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Surface Pro 4 (etc); observations from long term use?

<< < (8/11) > >>

wraith808:
So, I think I've made a decision, and will probably purchase this week.  But not a Surface, surprisingly.

I'm going for a Samsung Galaxy TabPro S.  I started to look at what I wanted to use it for.  Honestly, it will be mostly for light coding, markdown, writing, browsing, and reading.  With that in mind, a 4GB, 128GB, i3 or i5 is more than enough.  And in those specs, I can get something better than the Surface, for less.  I've used Samsung products in that niche before on Android, and I like them.  And the fact that it includes the cover and the keyboard in a lower price...

I've heard murmurings that the S2 will be out soon, but not sure that I want to wait- we know how amorphous 'soon' is.

Deozaan:
I've heard murmurings that the S2 will be out soon, but not sure that I want to wait- we know how amorphous 'soon' is.
-wraith808 (September 19, 2016, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

In my experience, "soon" usually means about a week after I've purchased the older product. :mad:

wraith808:
I've had the same experience. But I've been waiting a while, and have seen nothing official, so I think I'm going to take my chances.

:huh:

Deozaan:
I've had the same experience. But I've been waiting a while, and have seen nothing official, so I think I'm going to take my chances.
-wraith808 (September 19, 2016, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's how it works. It's not a week after you first think about ordering it. It's a week after you actually do order it. :D

awraynor:
I have a desktop for my media management, but do not use it often. For couch surfing I have an early Win8 Acer Touchscreen model. It finally broke at the hinge and I was looking for a replacement. I already had a Surface 3 which I bought with a 50% discount!!

I looked at the Surface Pro 4, SurfaceBook and a 13" Dell notebook. Given my rare use I couldn't justify the price of any high-end notebooks, the rest just felt too cheap. I was down to the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 4. Although nice, the SB just wasn't worth the extra money to me.

I trolled E-Bay for a short period as well as Swappa. Ultimately a seller had 3 SP4 auctions up for sale. I lost the first auction and went to bed bidding on the second one. When I awoke in the morning I was shocked I won. I bought a SP4, pen, arc mouse, keyboard and original model dock for $750.

The extra screen real estate over the Surface 3 is great. The Surface Book offers even a little more. I also much prefer the more natural feeling keyboard that comes with the Pro 4 over the Surface 3. The charging cable was a little frayed and this wasn't mentioned and I need to replace the batteries in the pen. For the price I won't complain.

Given I mostly do browsing and multimedia consumption it's great. It is a quality machine unlike many of the middle of the line notebooks I looked at. It also has a more flexible hinge than the Surface 3. This helps make up for some of the deficiencies it has as a lapable machine.

Rumors of course have the new Surface Book coming out this Fall and the SP5 next year. It looks like people know this and are trying to sell their current units before the new ones come out. I should be able to sell my Surface 3 with keyboard and pen for around $300 so hopefully only around $450 out of pocket for my new setup.

Not bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version