ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Surface Pro 4 (etc); observations from long term use?

<< < (2/11) > >>

wraith808:
I've been thinking about getting a Surface Pro 4 or a Surface Book, so watching this thread with interest!
-wraith808 (April 18, 2016, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---
I too have some interest. I'm pleased to see w3bcrawler's remarks.
I'd own one by now were it not for what I consider to be an alarming number of user reviews that are critical of it.

-cranioscopical (April 19, 2016, 07:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are many execs at my business that have these instead of laptops.  I didn't get it originally because I didn't think it would be powerful enough for development work.  But I've been disabused of that notion.  It's apparently not in the same category as other tablets, and MS keeps trying to appeal to that market, muddying the message in regards to it.  It's never going to be as user friendly as an iPad, nor even of an android device, because Windows isn't that user friendly.  But, that's ok, IMO.  They should be marketing it as a laptop replacement period, rather than a tablet, because when you look at it that way, it seems a great machine.

Deozaan:
I want a Surface Pro 4. The only reason I haven't gone for it yet is because I'd need one of the more expensive ones for it to be powerful enough for development, and that's a bit out of my budget for the time being.

I don't think I'd even want/use an Android or iPad tablet anymore if I had a Surface.

Don't get me wrong: I like Android. But it's an entirely different ecosystem than what I work with daily on my Windows machine. I'd much rather have my daily driver in a portable format (Surface Pro) than the much different offerings available for Android.

Basically it comes down to the difference between ARM devices and x86/x64. I really want to like all these little new technologies being built upon ARM devices, but so far there's just so much stuff made for x86/x64 that hasn't been ported to ARM yet. I really like that a Surface Pro can run everything I'm already familiar with.

wraith808:
I want a Surface Pro 4. The only reason I haven't gone for it yet is because I'd need one of the more expensive ones for it to be powerful enough for development, and that's a bit out of my budget for the time being.
-Deozaan (April 20, 2016, 12:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

And those more powerful ones are laptop replacements.  They haven't pushed that enough, and have muddied the waters.

An example.  I just bought an XPS 13.  This was before looking into the Surface all that much- because I viewed it as a tablet, not a laptop replacement.  Even in their marketing, it's an afterthought.  The tablet that you can use instead of your laptop.  You can use an android or iPad in place of your laptop.  It really depends on what you're doing.  My xps 13 was 1200- I could get a surface pro for that amount, if I'd known.  And my use case with it- the Surface Pro would be more usable in more cases than my XPS 13.  Taking laptops to meetings is intrusive, IMO.  So it sits on my desk, and I take my iPad.    The Surface Pro, I could use at my desk, and take it to the meeting easily, and non-intrusively.  They don't market that perspective enough (or even at all, from what I've seen).

wraith808:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331797258441?rmvSB=true

Don't have the funds to grab it, currently... and I couldn't go with 128GB, nor 4GB RAM.  But a decent deal if the specs work for you.

Deozaan:
because I viewed it as a tablet, not a laptop replacement.  Even in their marketing, it's an afterthought. [...] They don't market that perspective enough (or even at all, from what I've seen).-wraith808 (April 20, 2016, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

My experience has been different. It's practically the first thing I see in their marketing:

Surface Pro 3:

Surface Pro 4:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version