ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Move/Organize Files Into Folders

(1/3) > >>

nkormanik:
I seem to recall a program for what I'm asking.  If you know of one, please mention it.  Any and all thoughts appreciated.

I have 600,000 midi files, in a single folder.  I'd like to move/organize into folders.  100 midi files per new folder.  Sorted by size of files.

So, the smallest 100 midi files will go into, say, folder 0001.

Second 100 smallest midi files will go into folder 0002.

Etc.

Will need to create all the required folders.

Assume same drive for all actions.

Prefer to leave original filenames, though adding a prefix (suffix?) would be okay.  That's actually how I'll handle this little chore if I have to on my own.

Solution should be able to handle any sort of file, so others out there can find this topic and use solution for their own interests.

Thanks much!

Nicholas Kormanik

MilesAhead:
I would take a look at this free file manager, MultiCommander.

It has a built in scripting mechanism.  So I am sure it could do things like move files to folder by age/size as you require.  I have not used it other than to look around it and the documentation a bit since I have so much stuff that launches Explorer windows and moves them.  But it seems quite well done.  It has both native 32 and 64 bit builds.

Please do not ask me how to use the scripting.  I have been trying to figure that out in the documentation.  But it has online forums for guidance.  It is just that I haven't spent much time with it, being sort of locked into Explorer.

skwire:
I can do this one a little later today.  Stay tuned.

nkormanik:
Thanks to both of you!  I'll look into the program mentioned.  Always good to have another tool handy.  Skwire, if you do have the chance and inclination, go for it.

A friend of mind wrote some C-sharp code that does the job, too, more or less as requested.  But one must edit the code a tiny bit, and then compile.  Not sure if I should somehow post his code, or what.

MilesAhead:
Thanks to both of you!  I'll look into the program mentioned.  Always good to have another tool handy.  Skwire, if you do have the chance and inclination, go for it.

A friend of mind wrote some C-sharp code that does the job, too, more or less as requested.  But one must edit the code a tiny bit, and then compile.  Not sure if I should somehow post his code, or what.

-nkormanik (March 21, 2016, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless your friend posted the code somewhere publicly I would check with him/her before publishing it yourself.  If there are directories "hard wired" into the source code perhaps you can request the author get the directory paths from an .ini file.  That would remove the necessity to recompile.  I believe C# has Properties so it should be pretty easy to set default directories and other settings and make a small input box so that the user can change them while the program is running, and save for next time or whatnot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version