topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Are any of the "coders for hire" sites legit? Is anyone honest any more?  (Read 4777 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have tried to do this myself but simply do not have the time to learn the necessary skill set.  When I searched for Website Coding piecework I found the market is flooded with such sites but for every one touting a sure-fix site, there were 5 more saying STAY AWAY!  in Bold print and full of scary stories about being ripped off. 

It is a sad state the world has come to.  'Caveat Emptor' was always the byword for anything sold on the web but it seems it is now the "RULE" rather than the exception.

What I need it so minor I was hoping to find someone I could pay by the minute to jump in and tweak the necessary spots  by remote and run and instant test as it is done.  The coding is really not that hard if you know what you are doing.   I found several that offered exactly that... But the first one wanted a credit card number before they would even say "Hello".  And many of the others seem to be owned by the same "syndicate".

Can anyone recommend a site that does piece-meal jobs for immediate pay?

I don't mind showing my "good faith" for ability and willingness to pay but it seems a price could be discussed without a credit card number being passed.  How do honest people do business these days.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If a person without coding skills tells that it shouldn't be difficult to program whatever thing that they want, they either underestimate the work involved or they extremely underestimate the work involved.

Of course, the work that you get from this type of websites can easily be crap, but often it is also the case of a clear mismatch of expectations and amount of work. Add scope creep and you'll get those comments.

Best thing to do is very clearly specify what you want. And let the coder provide an estimate for that specification. If you or the coder make any change to the specification, re-estimate.

There are always two major problems with this:
1. You are not able to clearly write down a specification. By writing things down properly, you also get a much better idea about how much work that 'simple' idea/concept actually entails. And I am sure, most people have the wrong idea about how to write things down properly.
2. The coder provides a wrong estimate. He/she underestimates the work too, thinks too highly of their actual skills, etc.

What always helps:
Write short and concise.
Describe what you want to happen in case of success, describe what you want to happen in case of failure (in essence, write your testcases).
Use (mashed up) images to clarify whatever it is you want to happen.

Now both of you have a much clearer idea what needs to happen and there is much less chance of a mismatch between expectation and amount of work.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have tried to do this myself but simply do not have the time to learn the necessary skill set.  When I searched for Website Coding piecework I found the market is flooded with such sites but for every one touting a sure-fix site, there were 5 more saying STAY AWAY!  in Bold print and full of scary stories about being ripped off. 

It is a sad state the world has come to.  'Caveat Emptor' was always the byword for anything sold on the web but it seems it is now the "RULE" rather than the exception.

What I need it so minor I was hoping to find someone I could pay by the minute to jump in and tweak the necessary spots  by remote and run and instant test as it is done.  The coding is really not that hard if you know what you are doing.   I found several that offered exactly that... But the first one wanted a credit card number before they would even say "Hello".  And many of the others seem to be owned by the same "syndicate".

Can anyone recommend a site that does piece-meal jobs for immediate pay?

I don't mind showing my "good faith" for ability and willingness to pay but it seems a price could be discussed without a credit card number being passed.  How do honest people do business these days.

What do you want done?  Can you post your definition of work here, perhaps?  If you don't pull in anyone willing to do it, we can at least see if there are problems in your RFQ.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.code-it.com/

http://www.code-it.com/development.html
  • Distribute innovative PC software
  • High quality Support - directly from the coder
  • Development of new PC software
    If you have a great idea for the development of a new software app - we will work closely with you to develop it (if we have the expertise to do so) then give you full distribution rights (re-branding) for a small one-time charge or possibly at no charge.
  • Re-branding of our developed PC software
-What We Do For You:

also see https://www.donation....msg213723#msg213723

jessegilbert1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • BSP Brainstorm Pro
    • View Profile
    • Brainstorm Pro Thesaurus Software With Rhyme Finder + Dictionary (soon)
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Freelancer.com by the hour projects isn't bad. I don't know about by the minute though ;)
Usually fared ok with them and the predecessor rentacoder.
The Fastest Desktop Thesaurus Software. Guaranteed. Free Version for download >> http://www.brainstormpro.com

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK!  Count this one closed for me at least. 
If this is of any help to others, I found someone on UPWORK.com. His name is Zohaib Amir from Pakistan ( I think).  He was a very nice guy who took his time and never asked for a dime until the solution was found and tested.  IMHO that gets a 5 star rating.  The payment process through Upwork does use PayPal. 
If anyone uses the site, don't do what I did :).  As usual, in a hurry.

It is best to set up a full account before posting a job.   I ended up left with having to do all the -upfront- work afterward which made it look worse.  Plenty of offers from several people ranging from $25 to $250.  Zohaib was at the low end but we got along very well and most importantly, got the problem solved.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I took a look at upwork.com, and figured I'd join.  I quickly changed my mind as they require a picture of you, and I don't post such online.  A shame.