ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How are we all getting by with our reading organization/tracking post-RSS?

<< < (5/5)

jojo99:
RSS is far from dead.  I depend on Inoreader (www.inoreader.com), which looks exactly like the old Google Reader + added a lot more functionality.  It runs on Windows, Android & at least IOS.

I was told I was in the top 5% of Pocket users a few months back! [lol].  I use Pocket to save stuff from the news sites I read on Android.

On Windows I don't need Pocket because I save stuff I want to read as browser tabs or on Clipmate (the best clipboard maintenance and control app) that unfortunately hasn't been updated by the author in years, although it seems he is still willing to take payment for the app.

dr_andus:
RSS is far from dead.  I depend on Inoreader (www.inoreader.com), which looks exactly like the old Google Reader + added a lot more functionality.
-jojo99 (September 20, 2015, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for InoReader as Google Reader replacement.

jity2:
That being said I really *don't* see a lot of advantage in that setup except for one thing, which is a limitation of many RSS feeds, and maybe in some ways of the RSS format itself (or at least how it is commonly used): limited content length. Many RSS feeds only give you a snippet of the full content, or content differently formatted than the main website. In these cases having a Pocket version of the (presumably) full content is definitely ideal.
-JavaJones (August 31, 2015, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi,

I have always tried to get my rss feeds into emails. You can get full rss contents with http://fivefilters.org/content-only/. They also have an rss feed creator for websites that have no rss feeds.
I also use Website Watcher (their rss support has improved recently - you can get an email with only titles of the feed...etc. I read that the next update will support for regex filtering of rss feeds) and ifft (now you can get daily or weekly emails. Alas they replace the original urls with theirs. So if they disappear in the future you may not have access to the original urls. Fingers crossed!).

See ya ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version