topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Configure Host file!  (Read 13851 times)

shadowman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Configure Host file!
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:01 AM »
Hello folks,
        i just came to know host file maps the hostnames to IP addresses.
Which also means a users can stop ones pc from connecting to any website. This can come in handy to those who uses application from connecting to its mother site. Hope my english is good.
This way, i could block some programs from connecting to there website.

input these prefix in host file.
127.0.0.1 www.mediaplayer.com

I have some application which always tries to connect to the website. I have one in particular called Total Uninstall 6.
I tried the entry: 127.0.0.1 www.martau.com
But it still connects to the website and pops up as unregistered.
What i want to know is ! How do i know this program is trying to connect to a particular website. Is there a tool that can do that, i already have 2 firewall for this kind of job, but they fail sometime due to hard PC restart and all i have is host file.
Which can do the job 100%.

Awaiting some reply. Any suggestion.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Configure Host file!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Well, if it's connecting based on the IP address the hosts file won't help at all. Also if windows has cached the DNS entry it won't check the hosts file. Fix this by running
ipconfig /flushdns

Then you maybe need to do some sniffing to see what website your program is actually connecting to. Might be an amazon cloud server or something, who knows.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:46 AM »
ipconfig /flushdns

CCleaner has an option to flush the DNS cache when you do a clean.  I have it checked and clean before I save an image or snapshot so that old cache info is not stored.

Edit:  Also you may want to look at Revo Uninstaller free.  I cannot recall needing anything more than Revo free version and a good registry cleaner, such as Wise Registry Cleaner, to get rid of traces of old programs.

Wise has a free portable version of both its Disk Cleaner and Registry Cleaner.  Or you can get them as part of the WiseCare365 free.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:53 AM by MilesAhead »

shadowman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43 PM »
Un
ipconfig /flushdns
Unforunately i tried that, the program shows as unregisters. I am planning to switch it to Revo Uninstaller.Which pretty much does the same thing.
KS.Host Monitor is a program i found, Homepage.
Can this tool do the job.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Unforunately i tried that, the program shows as unregisters.
Could it be that it shows as unregistered because it can't reach the home-base server? That would be one of several ways I'd code a software licensing system, if I was asked... :o

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 04:37 PM »
CCleaner has an option to flush the DNS cache when you do a clean.  I have it checked and clean before I save an image or snapshot so that old cache info is not stored.

Edit:  Also you may want to look at Revo Uninstaller free. I cannot recall needing anything more than Revo free version and a good registry cleaner, such as Wise Registry Cleaner, to get rid of traces of old programs.

Wise has a free portable version of both its Disk Cleaner and Registry Cleaner. Or you can get them as part of the WiseCare365 free.

Miles, can you comment on CCleaner's registry cleaning ability vs. Wise Registry Cleaner? Thanks.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 07:43 PM »
Miles, can you comment on CCleaner's registry cleaning ability vs. Wise Registry Cleaner? Thanks.

They both seem to do a good job.  I only had one glitch using CCleaner reg clean in years of using it.  It was fixed in the next release.  It worked so well for so long I did not make a backup that time.  But now I use RegBackup freeware periodically.  Regbackup uses Shadow Services so it can back up all the registry hives even though the system is in use(by taking a snapshot using VSS service.)

I don't have any metrics for how thorough each backup is.  Just a "seat of the pants" feel.  It is difficult to test registry cleaning I imagine because as soon as you run one cleaner more stuff is stuck into the registry by the time you run the second cleaner.  Did the first one "miss" something or is it new stuff just added type of thing.  You might search for comparisons.  But I suspect most reviews will come down to a personal preference.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:24 PM »
I might be missing something here, but what's wrong with using Windows Firewall to control this?
I've used that for years to disable certain proggies from "phoning home" every time they are started up.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 07:19 AM »
The firewall that comes with Windows 7 (and up) is actually good in blocking incoming/outgoing network traffic. And there are (freeware) tools available that make working with this firewall easier, if you find it's default interface intimidating/fugly.

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 09:48 AM »
The firewall that comes with Windows 7 (and up) is actually good in blocking incoming/outgoing network traffic. And there are (freeware) tools available that make working with this firewall easier, if you find it's default interface intimidating/fugly.
Shades, do you have one or more recommendations for a replacement interface? Thanks.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Yes, that's what I had found, and for a while when I was using Win7-64 I preferred to use Windows 7 Firewall Control (purchased in Nov. 2012 for US$30). It was excellent, but under Win10-64 PRO I don't really feel that I need such software any more.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 02:37 PM »
I have some application which always tries to connect to the website. I have one in particular called Total Uninstall 6.
I tried the entry: 127.0.0.1 www.martau.com
But it still connects to the website and pops up as unregistered.
What i want to know is ! How do i know this program is trying to connect to a particular website. Is there a tool that can do that, i already have 2 firewall for this kind of job, but they fail sometime due to hard PC restart and all i have is host file.
Total Uninstall is an uninstaller written by Gavrila Martau. 

It is licensed per machine and checks the registration on startup with a database at www.martau.com to see if the computer on which you are running the software has a valid license. If not, the program will not run.  That seems to be what is happening in your case.  If you do have a valid registration and this is happening, contact the developer.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 05:03 PM »
Shades, do you have one or more recommendations for a replacement interface? Thanks.

I've used Windows Firewall Control for the last 4+ years across WHS2011, Windows 7HP, 8Pro, 8.1Pro, and now 10Pro - I reviewed an earlier version of it here.

Please take note that the last 4 or 5 posts in the thread are about a different program.

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 06:30 PM »
I've used Windows Firewall Control for the last 4+ years across WHS2011, Windows 7HP, 8Pro, 8.1Pro, and now 10Pro - I reviewed an earlier version of it here.

Please take note that the last 4 or 5 posts in the thread are about a different program.
Wow -- that's an excellent review of Windows Firewall Control -- thanks so much! Some of the comments therein address other programs I have been considering, so you saved me a lot of time and possible frustration.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:48 PM by Scott_Y »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Wow -- that's an excellent review of Windows Firewall Control -- thanks so much! Some of the comments therein address other programs I have been considering, so you saved me a lot of time and possible frustration.

Thanks, the program interface has gone through a revision or two and there's some new stuff, (eg. time limits for Temporary Rules, Secure Boot (ie. everything blocked at boot), etc) - I should update the review one day when I get motivated enough  :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 02:27 AM »
Oh dear. After reading and contributing a little in this discussion thread, and then in light of that reviewing the thread Windows Firewall Control - Mini Review (which I also contributed to), I am considering caving-in to my obsessive-compulsive trialling habit, and revisiting Windows Firewall Control as a registered user.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I am considering caving-in to my obsessive-compulsive trialling habit, ....

Why fight the inevitable?

Besides, there's the money you saved from the RAM burning a hole in your pocket  ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Configure Host file! - caveat re Windows Firewall Control.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 02:51 AM »
Well that was quick and painful.
  • WFC v4.6.2.2 downloaded and installed without any apparent problem. I verified the file checksum as well, JIC.
  • I registerd with a $10.00 PayPal "donation".
  • Program activated fine.
  • Then it crashed and screwed up some of my Firewall settings.
  • Thinking this might have something to do with a recent Win10 update, I gave it the benefit of the doubt. Kill WFC process(es). Reboot.
  • I uninstalled WFC via the Control Panel (in the manner prescribed in the FAQ), resetting all Firewall settings to default.
  • Then I reinstalled WFC.
  • WFC was very slow to start up and started sending notifications but they simply hung/hang (do nothing) when clicked to Action.
  • Kill WFC process(es). Repeat step 6.

Dilbert - Higgs-Boson.jpg

I've been had. I'm pissed off about it. I want my $10 back.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:10 AM by IainB »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 03:36 AM »
Obviously a YMMV moment since I just completely removed it (including license info and resetting to default Windows Firewall rules) using RevoUninstaller Pro and reinstalled/activated it without a problem.

Send an email to the developer or post on the Wilders Security forum thread.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 07:14 AM »
Well that was quick and painful.

I have had a similar experience with the Oracle XE database software from Oracle. After re-installing this software and using the Oracle prescribed start procedure would only sometimes result in a start of the database, while most of the time a reboot was required.

When I used the free version of RevoUninstaller to remove the Oracle XE software and then re-install, the Oracle XE software worked every time as expected. Since then I always use Uninstaller software to get rid of software.

Most of these software packages first create a restore point, then use the official uninstaller that comes with the software you want to get rid off and when that is finished, it will look in the registry and on the hard disk for remaining entries and files.

Unfortunately there is a big difference between the user's expectation and the actual result of uninstalling software using the Windows control panel option. In all of their "wisdom", the developers of the software you have installed think that leaving a lot of files and registry entries will make a re-installation of their software a breeze. The user likely thinks he/she got rid of every file and registry change that was applied during the installation of this software.

Most 'smaller' pieces of software do remove everything, strengthening the user's belief in the force behind the control panel's uninstall option. After a developer has created his/her program, he/she needs to make a choice which installing software suite he/she is going to use for the distribution of his/her program. There are quite some options to choose from and these are definitely not created equally. This part of the process in getting the (paying) user an installer he/she can use to deploy on his/her system varies from uninteresting to a pain in the behind. Don't be surprised if the developer unintentionally overlooked one or more options for the creation of the uninstaller inside the installer...after all, who wants to get rid of the creation he/she put so much effort in?

That realization made sure that when I read the software creator's recommendation to use the control panel for uninstalling it is always translated into: use uninstaller product xyz instead.

The abilities of uninstallers vary, but the ones I tried all did a much better job than the uninstalling part that comes with software installers.

All of the above also made me appreciate portable versions of software in such a manner that if I need a piece of software, I look if there is a portable version of it. And if it doesn't, I look at alternatives that do.

After 3 years I have amassed quite a software library, yet the control panel only reports I have 32 pieces of software installed (not counting the Windows related entries from Microsoft, but counting MS Office related entries). 6 of those 32 entries are (GOG) games. As a result my system still feels as nimble as the first day it was installed.

TL;DR:
Always, always, always use uninstaller software like RevoUninstaller to remove software from your Windows computer.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 10:52 AM »
I've been had. I'm pissed off about it. I want my $10 back.

Thanks for taking one for the team, Iain. I was thinking about checking out that software. It seems you have saved me some time (and money).