topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Method for bypassing LBC security problem  (Read 4093 times)

tsc.v1.1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Method for bypassing LBC security problem
« on: February 28, 2016, 07:29 PM »
   Greetings, citizens of earth (or do I assume too much?)!   

This is (essentially) my recent email to Mouser.  Putting it on the forum seemed like a good idea. If someone runs into the same problem they will have at least one possible solution to try.

---

Hello, Mouser!

As you know, I was previously unable to use drag & drop with LaunchBarCommander using any of the methods outlined in the help. The "solution" for me was to turn off UAC for my (only) admin/user acct. (any other UAC setting failed). I am excited to have this convenient feature working properly and now I'm going through the screenshots to see what other people have done. Over time I'll be tweaking LBC to the max, and eventually share screenshot(s). I like things just so, however; it might take a little while. Thanks again for your superb software; I can't wait to use the new features you've planned!

P.S. From this experience I've ascertained that the security settings (permissions, ownership, etc.) on part(s)/all of my system drive must need attention, which I have suspected for some time. Anyone with the inclination is extremely welcome to volunteer any sort of help whatsoever, in that regard; when it comes to Windows 7 Home Premium security I am certainly no expert! I'm sure, though, that if I were to get LBC working without turning off UAC I would then be closer to fixing some other security problems on my C:\ so that's the goal. Okay, plea made. The main thing is that I have LBC working properly now! Hurray!

Thanks for your time!  :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Method for bypassing LBC security problem
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:34 AM »
thanks for the report -- i had no idea that UAC settings could affect drag and drop behavior..

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:35 PM »
The "solution" for me was to turn off UAC for my (only) admin/user acct. (any other UAC setting failed).
Hmm, did you launch LBC with admin privileges?

Lower-privileged programs aren't allowed to send messages to elevated programs.
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 08:15 AM »
^True, not to mention that the elevated session also won't have access to any drives mapped in the current user session which can be a really nasty gotcha during all sorts of things.