topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Cannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming  (Read 16719 times)

sitnik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When trying to capture a region using Surface Pro 4, the screen zooms 200% on the built-in monitor (i.e. 400% of original image). The same zooming carries to the external monitor.

Screen 1 is the built in, at native 2736x1824. Windows is set by default to display everything enlarged 200% (otherwise, everything is too small)
Screen 2, external, at native 1920x1080. Display size: 100%.

Windows 10 (v1511), 64bit, Intel HD Graphics 520, latest drivers (20.19.15.4326).

Unfortunately, I cannot use SC (v4.12.0) at all.

Looking forward for a solution!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
When trying to capture a region using Surface Pro 4, the screen zooms 200% on the built-in monitor (i.e. 400% of original image). The same zooming carries to the external monitor.

so this bug only happens when you do a selected-region capture?

if so, i know this bug, and SC fixed it a while ago, but i may have ended up disabling the thing that is responsible for the fix.  i will try to get up a beta this week.

sitnik

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes. This bug happens only during region capture.

drweb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello,

I was curious if this bug has been fixed yet?

i am experiencing same issue with my surface 4 and a multi monitor setup.

Only happens when select region snapshot is taken.

Thanks,
Clay

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you email me ([email protected]) -- i have a beta version i'd like you to try.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'd ask the question as to whether they're using the mouse or the pen...

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have the exact same problem, but on an Asus laptop to which I have connected an external monitor (actually, my TV) using HDMI.

I am using Windows 10, version 10.0.10586, 64 bit, Intel HD Graphics 520 (driver version 20.19.15.4331).

When I try to select a region using the mouse, everything is zoomed, probably around 150%, both the internal and the external monitor (so the external monitor becomes double zoomed). Therefore I can't use the "Capture selected Region" command at all. I have to capture the entire workspace and then select the region afterwards in Screenshot Captor. And that's a bummer since I used to capture selected regions a lot.

The normal zoom on my internal laptop monitor is 100%. The normal zoom on my TV is 150%.

The internal monitor has a resolution of 1366x768. The external TV monitor is 1920x1080.

If I set the zoom on my external TV monitor to 100%, so both screens are at 100%, the problem is gone. But then it is really hard to read any text on my TV as it is 8 feet away.

I am using Screenshot Captor 4.16.1.0.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think we may have spotted a common factor among those having a problem.

It seems to happen only on windows 10 when multiple monitors are set to DIFFERENT ZOOM MAGNIFICATIONS.

That is -- it's not a problem when multiple monitors have different resolutions, or when a zoom magnification other than 100% is used.

But Windows 10 introduced the ability to set magnification differently on each monitor, and having different magnifications on different monitors seems to be the problem.

Can those of you who are experiencing this issue confirm?

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It seems to happen only on windows 10 when multiple monitors are set to DIFFERENT ZOOM MAGNIFICATIONS.

That is -- it's not a problem when multiple monitors have different resolutions, or when a zoom magnification other than 100% is used.

But Windows 10 introduced the ability to set magnification differently on each monitor, and having different magnifications on different monitors seems to be the problem.

Sadly, no, not in my case (the Asus laptop with two external monitors). On my computer, it seems to be related to HDMI versus VGA connection.

I made some more testing:

When I only connect my 1920x1080 external monitor (a normal monitor, not a TV) using VGA, no problems exist at all, no matter what zoom I choose for either of the two screens. They can be the same, they can be different, they can be 100%, they can be any percent, Screenshot Captor selected region capture works exactly as it should.

When I only connect my 1920x1080 external TV using HDMI, the problems are there if I choose anything else than 100% zoom for any of the screens (internal or TV). Only when both are 100%, selected region capture works. Otherwise the entire workspace is zoomed in when trying to capture a selected region.

When I plug in both of my external monitors, i.e. the 1920x1080 external normal monitor via VGA and my 1920x1080 TV via HDMI, I can choose any zoom for the VGA monitor if the internal monitor is at 100% and the TV is at 100%: Region capture just works. But if I change either the internal monitor zoom or the TV zoom to non-100%, selected region capture stops working (zooms in the entire workspace).

So it seems to be very much related to VGA versus HDMI. It works fine with VGA, but doesn't work with HDMI.

The VGA monitor is positioned to the left, the TV to the right, if that matters.

Okay…! :tellme: Now something weird just happened: I tried rearranging the monitor positions in ms-settings:display (Start, Run, type ms-settings:display, Enter) to see if right and left was involved. And while I was trying to get that to work, which it never did (Windows did not react to any monitor position changes at all, only in the graphics on the screen, but not "in real life"), suddenly Screenshot Captor's selected region capture started working again, even though my TV is at 150 % zoom now! In other words, Screenshot Captor's selected region capture now works perfectly with exactly my needed zoom settings.

Now I am both happy :) and puzzled :huh: . What happened?

It seems to be a Windows bug? Maybe related to Windows not being able to rearrange screens correctly using ms-settings:display?

Ah… The problem simply moved to my VGA monitor! If I change the zoom on the VGA monitor now, Screenshot Captor's selected region capture stops working again (zooms in too much). But I can change the zoom freely on my TV now.

My monitor arrangement is this now:
Screenshot - 04-05-2016 , 19_59_33.pngCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

VGA monitor is number 2 to the left, internal monitor is number 1 in the middle, TV is number 3 to the right.

The zooms are 100%, 100%, 150%.

I am puzzled, but right now everything works on my computer. I don't really have any explanation though. I only rearranged the screens in ms-settings:display without any real effect on the rearrangement; the arrangement just fell back to the previous arrangement when I changed the zoom on any of the screens. But after that the problem moved to the other monitor, which solved my problem.

How that could help sitnik I don't know, as sitnik only has one monitor and maybe cannot get rid of the problem using my spells.

And anyway, there would still be a problem also for me if I wanted a different zoom than 100% on my VGA monitor now. I just happen not to want that.

Okay, now I tried detaching my HDMI TV. Now I am able to change the zoom on my external VGA again, and Screenshot Captor's selected region capture still works. Now I just can't change it for my internal display. :)

I plugged in my HDMI TV again, and then I had to set the zoom on my VGA monitor back to 100% to make selected region capture work. But my TV is still at 150%, without problems.

So, the problem is kind of solved now (for me), but not generally solved. And I only hope it still works after restarting my computer – I don't know.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Could it have something to do with the ALIGNMENT of the monitors?

It might help to understand how SC does the selected region capture -- it basically takes a preliminary screenshot of the entire workspace, and then OVERLAYS it on top of all screens so that it can draw on top of it (that's why everything "freezes" on your screens while you do a selected region capture).

Is it possible that windows is MOVING that giant overlay window somehow..

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
First of all, I tried restarting my computer, and the problem was back :(. Or rather, the problem is there when I only connect my TV, but not when I connect both my TV and my VGA monitor.

Could it have something to do with the ALIGNMENT of the monitors?

Yes, you do have a point there! I tried using Control Panel to realign the monitors (this time actually realigning them, as opposed to the non-functional Settings "app"). And if I put the top of my internal monitor above the top of my TV, or precisely align the top of the internal monitor with the top of my TV, the problem is gone, even though the TV is set to 150%. TV is monitor number 2 here:
Screenshot - 05-05-2016 , 00_30_31.pngCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

But if I place the top of the internal monitor just below the top of the TV, so the TV's top defines the top of the workspace, the problem is back:
Screenshot - 05-05-2016 , 00_28_16.pngCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

Seems like perhaps the topmost screen (the screen with the topmost top) kind of defines the zoom for the entire window overlay? I don't quite understand it, though…

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When I connect my VGA monitor, it becomes the topmost screen (here it is number 2, and the TV is number 3):
Screenshot - 05-05-2016 , 00_36_00.pngCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

And then it works.

But this works too, even though here the TV is the topmost screen:
Screenshot - 05-05-2016 , 00_37_49.pngCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

And this works too:
Screenshot - 05-05-2016 , 00_40_30.pngCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

So I can't quite explain why it works now when I connect two monitors…

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I tried many different arrangements of my three external monitors now, and none of the arrangements gives any problems – if both externals monitors are connected.

The problem is only there now when I connect only my TV. Then the zoom on the TV makes problems.

If I connect only my VGA connected monitor, the zoom on the internal monitor makes problems – no matter how I arrange the two monitors. Even if I put the VGA connected monitor to the right (virtually), it makes no change.

I can't find heads or tails in this.

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
But if I only connect my TV and arrange my internal monitor (1) and TV (2) like this (i.e. align their tops):
Screenshot - 05-05-2016 , 00_56_50.pngCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

then it works, with a zoom of 150% on my TV.

So I guess my workaround is to align the tops of my internal screen and my TV.

I still don't understand why it is like that, though.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's some nice troubleshooting there Jesper.  I'm sure mouse will appreciate it when he sees it!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I do very much appreciate all the testing!
Since we are still missing a truly simple explanation, i think the next step is for me to make a test version that creates the overlay and then draws on it to show where it THINKS each monitor is and what it's dimensions are.
I think this will let us see more clearly what is going on.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can I ask a couple of quick questions, FOR THE SCENARIO WHERE THE SELECTION REGION CAUSES A PROBLEM:

1. in the config where selected region has a problem, can i confirm that the "capture entire workspace" capture works as expected, and captures entire workspace?
2. again in config where selected region has a problem, if you nevertheless trigger a selected region capture, and try to select the entire visible (zoomed) workspace, from top left to bottom right, what does the resulting image look like?

It would be great if you could attach 2 images, one with the entire workspace captured via "capture entire workspace" capture, and another using selected region and trying to select a region of maximum size from upper left to lower right.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
jesper, when you get a chance, im particularly interested in the normal CAPTURE ENTIRE WORKSPACE results in the two scenarios where selected region works vs when it doesn't.

contrary to my previous thinking that this capture-entire workspace always worked fine in all cases, on another user's test, we found big blank white areas on left and right of monitors indicating that something is wrong even with the capture entire workspace in this scenario.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Following up -- it now appears i may have misunderstood a fundamental issue related to this problem.

I've been operating under the assumption that the other capture modes (capture screen, workspace) worked fine and it was just selected region that was broken.

But now from some discussion it appears that assumption may not be true.

Jesper can you go to a configuration where selected region captures give bad zoomed result, and then just try taking a normal Capture Screen capture on each monitor and post the results?

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Jesper can you go to a configuration where selected region captures give bad zoomed result, and then just try taking a normal Capture Screen capture on each monitor and post the results?
Sorry for the late reply, I have been both sleeping and busy. :)

The complete workspace screenshots are actually incomplete when the problem is there. I took these complete workspace screenshots when having my 1920x1080 TV connected (through HDMI). The internal screen is to the left, the TV is to the right. Only the last of these three screenshots is correct and complete:

125% zoom on internal screen, 150% external TV, problem is there, workspace screenshot is incomplete:
Screenshot - 07-05-2016 , 01_57_58 125% zoom on internal screen, 150% external TV, incomplete.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

100% zoom on internal screen, 150% external TV, problem is there, workspace screenshot is incomplete:
Screenshot - 07-05-2016 , 01_58_31 100% zoom on internal screen, 150% external TV, incomplete.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

100% zoom on internal, 100% on external TV, problem is not there, workspace screenshot is complete:
Screenshot - 07-05-2016 , 02_02_33, 100% internal, 100% external, complete.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

(I had to use lossy JPG as lossless PNG was too large, but that is hopefully not a problem in this case.)

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've been operating under the assumption that the other capture modes (capture screen, workspace) worked fine and it was just selected region that was broken.
I actually had the same assumption – apparently I never checked or noticed that until now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok so at least we are making progress on identifying the nature of the problem -- and it's not a problem with selected region capturing per se, and is instead a more general problem.

Very useful seeing those screenshots.

Now if I make impose a bit more --

I think you addressed this earlier, but is there a scenario where having the two screens at the SAME magnification still has a problem?  One subtlety about testing this is that it may be that SC has to be restarted after making magnification changes in order to not cause spurious problems.

And lastly, can you tell me if for example the 125+150 case above, if you do single-screen (monitor) captures, are the individual monitor captures also incomplete?

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To follow up on previous questions before returning to your most recent answer:

1. in the config where selected region has a problem, can i confirm that the "capture entire workspace" capture works as expected, and captures entire workspace?
I cannot confirm that, as shown in my previous post.

2. again in config where selected region has a problem, if you nevertheless trigger a selected region capture, and try to select the entire visible (zoomed) workspace, from top left to bottom right, what does the resulting image look like?

Zoom settings: 100% internal, 150% TV:

Workspace screenshot – incomplete:
Screenshot - 2016-05-07 , 02_28_38, 100% internal, 150% TV, workspace, incomplete.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

Trying to select entire workspace using selected region capture from upper left on internal screen to lower right on external TV (with no zoom problem this time!) – more incomplete, the lower part of the internal screen is now also missing:
Screenshot - 2016-05-07 , 02_28_57, 100% internal, 150% TV, selecting entire workspace as region, incomplete but different.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
One subtlety about testing this is that it may be that SC has to be restarted after making magnification changes in order to not cause spurious problems.
I actually never restarted Screenshot Captor as part of the testing. I will continue not to do that to make results comparable. But if you ask, I can restart.

is there a scenario where having the two screens at the SAME magnification still has a problem? 
Yes, for instance 125% and 125%.

Workspace capture using 125% and 125% (Windows changed the TV desktop background to horses now):
Screenshot - 2016-05-07 , 02_45_11, 125% internal, 125% TV, workspace, incomplete.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

And lastly, can you tell me if for example the 125+150 case above, if you do single-screen (monitor) captures, are the individual monitor captures also incomplete?
Yes, they are also incomplete.

125% internal and 150% TV:

Internal monitor, single screen capture – incomplete:
Screenshot - 2016-05-07 , 02_47_39, 125% internal, 150% TV, single screen capture of internal screen, incomplete.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

External TV monitor, single screen capture – incomplete and includes part of internal screen (!):
Screenshot - 2016-05-07 , 02_55_57, 125% internal, 150% TV, single screen capture of TV screen, incomplete and includes part of internal.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

Jesper Hertel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Switched TV background back to polar bears to make screenshots comparable, repeating some screenshots:

125% internal and 150% TV, single screen capture of internal monitor – incomplete:
Screenshot - 2016-05-07 , 03_04_22, 125% internal, 150% TV, single screen capture of internal monitor, incomplete.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming

125% internal and 150% TV, single screen capture of TV monitor – incomplete and includes part of internal screen:
Screenshot - 2016-05-07 , 03_04_31, 125% internal, 150% TV, single screen capture of TV screen, incomplete and includes part of internal.jpgCannot capture region using Surface Pro4, dual monitor - extra zooming