ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need a new Keyboard - advice?

<< < (3/3)

tomos:
One thing to note about the Logitech K740 is that the Insert and Delete keys (above the cursor keys, between the main keyboard and the numeric pad) are non-standard.  The Delete key is double size and the Insert key has been moved above it to where the Print Screen key is on a standard keyboard.
-xtabber (February 17, 2016, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually like that.  It keeps me from pressing it by accident when typing.  PrintScn is there, but the scroll lock key is now a function key.  I'm not sure what you mean by L-shaped Enter keys - it's pretty standard on that keyboard - a double sized enter key.
-wraith808 (February 17, 2016, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I dont think that's a problem for me either -- it's closer to my last keyboard layout than the K800 is.
FWIW I'm getting kind of used to the Kensington keyboard for typing -- for the price it's wonderful -- but I know I'll have to change as soon as I go back to drawing work (i.e. using all those shortcuts repetitively). But gives me time to look around a bit more.

The danger is looking at negative reviews and then looking at more and more expensive keyboards.. :-\

tomos:
I'm just after getting myself a mechanical keyboard with Cherry brown switches:
QPAD K50 (de link) -- it's the cheaper/basic version of this one (UK link; MK50 has no backlighting, not sure what else is missing -- I only need a keyboard!)

* Keyboard seems to be solid and well made
* the brown switches are very easy to use which is what I wanted/needed
* I dont like the labeling on the keys, but that's not so important (they have a pretty tacky 'Q' logo which is printed on the middle of the spacebar, and also used on the 'Q' key; dont like the way multiple options are shown on the keys -- they're not easy to read at a glance)
Mechanical keyboards are higher than other keyboards, and they all seem to be higher at the back too.
When typing, I avoid bending my wrists -- I dont rest my wrists on anything: my hand, wrist, and arm make a straight line. When using Ctrl+Shift together with one finger (e.g. when selecting text by the word) I'm forced to drop my wrist due to the upwards slope of the keyboard.
I haven't drawn yet using the keyboard (for shortcuts), the height may be a problem there -- we'll see.

It's a joy to type with. I still have to get used to it -- keep making typos...
testing the keys, I see it wont type a vertical bar "|" :(

wraith808:
Do you use the numeric keypad?  What about the function keys?  There are some affordable options on amazon that are mechanical, and would be useable.  I found that recently, evaluating my own typing.  I use the arrows and function keys and page up/page down and such pretty rarely.  so I picked up a keyboard that didn't have those- a Pok3er with cherry browns (and tried clears too).  It's a bit more expensive than what you're talking about, but the Qisan keyboards are pretty nice for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Mechanical-Backlight-Cable-White-Magicforce/dp/B01872MCIA

The browns are more for some reason... the blacks and blues are a lot less.  On this particular keyboard, you're giving up the function row (which can be accessed using the function key) and the numeric keypad.  It's a good tradeoff.

tomos:
Do you use the numeric keypad?  What about the function keys?  There are some affordable options on amazon that are mechanical, and would be useable.  I found that recently, evaluating my own typing.  I use the arrows and function keys and page up/page down and such pretty rarely.  so I picked up a keyboard that didn't have those- a Pok3er with cherry browns (and tried clears too).  It's a bit more expensive than what you're talking about, but the Qisan keyboards are pretty nice for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Qisan-Mechanical-Backlight-Cable-White-Magicforce/dp/B01872MCIA

The browns are more for some reason... the blacks and blues are a lot less.  On this particular keyboard, you're giving up the function row (which can be accessed using the function key) and the numeric keypad.  It's a good tradeoff.
-wraith808 (May 25, 2016, 02:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

F-keys I need
Pagup/down, home/end and arrow keys -- I use all of them a lot
Numberpad I dont need

But note I'm limited by wanting a qwertz (German) keyboard, which has one key more than the US keyboard. Many brands (including Qisan AFAICS) dont make the qwertz layout.
I'm quite happy with this one so far -- I've written QPAD about the 'bar' -- and bought it locally anyways, so can bring it back for a replacement.

tomos:
I see it wont type a vertical bar "|" :(
-tomos (May 25, 2016, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

turns out this a problem with my desktop machine :tellme: (Windows 7 x64)
The keyboard works fine with my Windows 7 x64 laptop . . .

(and other keyboards cannot type the vertical bar "|" on my desktop)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version