topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need a new Keyboard - advice?  (Read 8453 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need a new Keyboard - advice?
« on: February 16, 2016, 05:30 AM »
Need a new keyboard:
I dont type a whole lot, but use the keyboard *a lot* for keyboard shortcuts. I find for pressing shortcut keys, I need a keyboard with minimal resistance. I'd also like a better quality keyboard than my previous one (Logitech Deluxe 250 - see paragraph 3 below)

I recently bought a Kensington K72357 (amazon) which IIUC is mechanical. It's like a laptop keyboard, for typing it seems okay, but for pressing keyboard shortcuts, it has too much resistance. (I notice when typing, my hands are over the keyboard, so any resistance is less of a problem due to 'weight-of-hand'. When pressing shortcut, my hand/wrist is often resting on the table, so I have to use quite a lot of effort to press the keys. Considering my wrists are already half-wrecked from this work, I think I'll have to get something else.)

For the last few years, I used a Logitech Deluxe 250:
I see I bought it in August 2007, so it has served me well. For typing it wasnt that nice, but easy to use. For shortcuts it was great.

I'm considering the Logitech K800 (new egg). I wouldnt really want to have to pay any more than that (90$ / 80€) and would be happy if I got something cheaper ;-)
I dont like the idea of wireless though -- batteries are one more thing to worry about, I just want to be able to plug it in and that's it.

So open to any suggestions. TIA :)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need a new Keyboard - advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 05:49 AM »
Logitech K740 (amazon) may be an option.
I always have a look at negative reviews, which can be off-putting:

• type any three keys in quick succession and the third gets lost (including n't and ine). Appears to be hardware issue i.e. planned by Logitech. May not be a big problem for me as I slow typist.
  • black on keys getting worn away, backlight shining through -- this could be a problem, but guess I could send it back if it happened
  • is with cable
Tom

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 04:15 PM »
I use both a Logitech 800 keyboard and a Lenovo keyboard that came with a desktop computer.  They are both good keyboards but very different in feel and I use them differently.

The Lenovo is like the old IBM keyboard, with mechanical switches, relatively high resistance and is slightly clicky.  Don't know what they use, but I'd guess Cherry blue or something similar.  Having used that kind of keyboard for years, I'm comfortable with it and find it easier to touch type on because of the tactile feedback.  However, I have arthritis which has been getting worse and that could eventually lead me to switch to the Logitech for my main work.

The Logitech uses membrane switches which have much lighter resistance. It is easier on the fingers, but with less tactile and audible feedback, I feel less secure touch typing on it.  I could probably adapt, and may well have to.  A major advantage to it for me is the backlighting. Although it is wireless, I keep it plugged in to a charger because the backlighting stays on longer than when it is running on its built-in rechargeable battery.  I also use a Logitech wireless mouse, so it only takes one USB dongle for both keyboard and mouse.

I've never had any roll-over problems with either keyboard.

The Logitech 800 is considerably cheaper at Amazon than at Newegg - $69.99 vs $86.99 at the moment.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 06:07 PM »
Logitech K740 (amazon) may be an option.
I always have a look at negative reviews, which can be off-putting:

• type any three keys in quick succession and the third gets lost (including n't and ine). Appears to be hardware issue i.e. planned by Logitech. May not be a big problem for me as I slow typist.
  • black on keys getting worn away, backlight shining through -- this could be a problem, but guess I could send it back if it happened
  • is with cable

I have that keyboard at work, am a reasonably fast typist, and have not seen issue 1.  I have also not seen the second issue, and I've had it for a while.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 06:17 PM »
thanks for those comments :up:

I have that keyboard [Logitech K740] at work, am a reasonably fast typist, and have not seen issue 1.

do you know if three-key shortcuts work? Lots of gamers complain that some particular combos of three keys dont work on it -- I dont care about the gaming aspect, but do use multiple shortcuts with three, and even some with four keys.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 08:57 PM »
thanks for those comments :up:

I have that keyboard [Logitech K740] at work, am a reasonably fast typist, and have not seen issue 1.

do you know if three-key shortcuts work? Lots of gamers complain that some particular combos of three keys dont work on it -- I dont care about the gaming aspect, but do use multiple shortcuts with three, and even some with four keys.

I can check tomorrow.  I can't recall if I even have any three key shortcuts.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Just checked it... with a three key shortcut that has the windows key and another that did not.  (WIN+CTRL+N and CTRL+SHIFT+N).  Both worked fine.

Another interesting note from Amazon: You purchased this item on August 24, 2010

So I've had it for 5-1/2 years, and there is minimal wear on the keyboard- other than dust and grit between the keys (I need to clean it), it looks pretty much new.  The backlighting still works, and I don't see any peeling on the keys.  I also like the travel on that keyboard.  On some Logitech keyboards, I don't like that, but this gets a slim keyboard with good travel for fast typing.  I'd recommend it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Thanks for all that info wraith,
it sounds good to me :Thmbsup:
Tom

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 02:17 PM »
One thing to note about the Logitech K740 is that the Insert and Delete keys (above the cursor keys, between the main keyboard and the numeric pad) are non-standard.  The Delete key is double size and the Insert key has been moved above it to where the Print Screen key is on a standard keyboard.

This may or may not matter to you, but I find that kind of thing disconcerting when typing.  I also dislike keyboards with small L-shaped Enter keys, as is common with many of the cheaper keyboards.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 03:56 PM »
One thing to note about the Logitech K740 is that the Insert and Delete keys (above the cursor keys, between the main keyboard and the numeric pad) are non-standard.  The Delete key is double size and the Insert key has been moved above it to where the Print Screen key is on a standard keyboard.

I actually like that.  It keeps me from pressing it by accident when typing.  PrintScn is there, but the scroll lock key is now a function key.  I'm not sure what you mean by L-shaped Enter keys - it's pretty standard on that keyboard - a double sized enter key.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 04:15 PM »

I actually like that.  It keeps me from pressing it by accident when typing.  PrintScn is there, but the scroll lock key is now a function key.  I'm not sure what you mean by L-shaped Enter keys - it's pretty standard on that keyboard - a double sized enter key.

Yeah, I dont think that's a problem for me either -- it's closer to my last keyboard layout than the K800 is.
FWIW I'm getting kind of used to the Kensington keyboard for typing -- for the price it's wonderful -- but I know I'll have to change as soon as I go back to drawing work (i.e. using all those shortcuts repetitively). But gives me time to look around a bit more.

The danger is looking at negative reviews and then looking at more and more expensive keyboards.. :-\
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 02:00 PM »
I'm just after getting myself a mechanical keyboard with Cherry brown switches:
QPAD K50 (de link) -- it's the cheaper/basic version of this one (UK link; MK50 has no backlighting, not sure what else is missing -- I only need a keyboard!)

• Keyboard seems to be solid and well made
  • the brown switches are very easy to use which is what I wanted/needed
  • I dont like the labeling on the keys, but that's not so important (they have a pretty tacky 'Q' logo which is printed on the middle of the spacebar, and also used on the 'Q' key; dont like the way multiple options are shown on the keys -- they're not easy to read at a glance)

Mechanical keyboards are higher than other keyboards, and they all seem to be higher at the back too.
When typing, I avoid bending my wrists -- I dont rest my wrists on anything: my hand, wrist, and arm make a straight line. When using Ctrl+Shift together with one finger (e.g. when selecting text by the word) I'm forced to drop my wrist due to the upwards slope of the keyboard.
I haven't drawn yet using the keyboard (for shortcuts), the height may be a problem there -- we'll see.

It's a joy to type with. I still have to get used to it -- keep making typos...
testing the keys, I see it wont type a vertical bar "|" :(
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Do you use the numeric keypad?  What about the function keys?  There are some affordable options on amazon that are mechanical, and would be useable.  I found that recently, evaluating my own typing.  I use the arrows and function keys and page up/page down and such pretty rarely.  so I picked up a keyboard that didn't have those- a Pok3er with cherry browns (and tried clears too).  It's a bit more expensive than what you're talking about, but the Qisan keyboards are pretty nice for the price.

http://www.amazon.co...cforce/dp/B01872MCIA

The browns are more for some reason... the blacks and blues are a lot less.  On this particular keyboard, you're giving up the function row (which can be accessed using the function key) and the numeric keypad.  It's a good tradeoff.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 03:06 PM »
Do you use the numeric keypad?  What about the function keys?  There are some affordable options on amazon that are mechanical, and would be useable.  I found that recently, evaluating my own typing.  I use the arrows and function keys and page up/page down and such pretty rarely.  so I picked up a keyboard that didn't have those- a Pok3er with cherry browns (and tried clears too).  It's a bit more expensive than what you're talking about, but the Qisan keyboards are pretty nice for the price.

http://www.amazon.co...cforce/dp/B01872MCIA

The browns are more for some reason... the blacks and blues are a lot less.  On this particular keyboard, you're giving up the function row (which can be accessed using the function key) and the numeric keypad.  It's a good tradeoff.

F-keys I need
Pagup/down, home/end and arrow keys -- I use all of them a lot
Numberpad I dont need

But note I'm limited by wanting a qwertz (German) keyboard, which has one key more than the US keyboard. Many brands (including Qisan AFAICS) dont make the qwertz layout.
I'm quite happy with this one so far -- I've written QPAD about the 'bar' -- and bought it locally anyways, so can bring it back for a replacement.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 07:16 AM »
I see it wont type a vertical bar "|" :(

turns out this a problem with my desktop machine :tellme: (Windows 7 x64)
The keyboard works fine with my Windows 7 x64 laptop . . .

(and other keyboards cannot type the vertical bar "|" on my desktop)
Tom