ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Need a new Keyboard - advice?

(1/3) > >>

tomos:
Need a new keyboard:
I dont type a whole lot, but use the keyboard *a lot* for keyboard shortcuts. I find for pressing shortcut keys, I need a keyboard with minimal resistance. I'd also like a better quality keyboard than my previous one (Logitech Deluxe 250 - see paragraph 3 below)

I recently bought a Kensington K72357 (amazon) which IIUC is mechanical. It's like a laptop keyboard, for typing it seems okay, but for pressing keyboard shortcuts, it has too much resistance. (I notice when typing, my hands are over the keyboard, so any resistance is less of a problem due to 'weight-of-hand'. When pressing shortcut, my hand/wrist is often resting on the table, so I have to use quite a lot of effort to press the keys. Considering my wrists are already half-wrecked from this work, I think I'll have to get something else.)

For the last few years, I used a Logitech Deluxe 250:
I see I bought it in August 2007, so it has served me well. For typing it wasnt that nice, but easy to use. For shortcuts it was great.

I'm considering the Logitech K800 (new egg). I wouldnt really want to have to pay any more than that (90$ / 80€) and would be happy if I got something cheaper ;-)
I dont like the idea of wireless though -- batteries are one more thing to worry about, I just want to be able to plug it in and that's it.

So open to any suggestions. TIA :)

tomos:
Logitech K740 (amazon) may be an option.
I always have a look at negative reviews, which can be off-putting:

* type any three keys in quick succession and the third gets lost (including n't and ine). Appears to be hardware issue i.e. planned by Logitech. May not be a big problem for me as I slow typist.
* black on keys getting worn away, backlight shining through -- this could be a problem, but guess I could send it back if it happened
* is with cable

xtabber:
I use both a Logitech 800 keyboard and a Lenovo keyboard that came with a desktop computer.  They are both good keyboards but very different in feel and I use them differently.

The Lenovo is like the old IBM keyboard, with mechanical switches, relatively high resistance and is slightly clicky.  Don't know what they use, but I'd guess Cherry blue or something similar.  Having used that kind of keyboard for years, I'm comfortable with it and find it easier to touch type on because of the tactile feedback.  However, I have arthritis which has been getting worse and that could eventually lead me to switch to the Logitech for my main work.

The Logitech uses membrane switches which have much lighter resistance. It is easier on the fingers, but with less tactile and audible feedback, I feel less secure touch typing on it.  I could probably adapt, and may well have to.  A major advantage to it for me is the backlighting. Although it is wireless, I keep it plugged in to a charger because the backlighting stays on longer than when it is running on its built-in rechargeable battery.  I also use a Logitech wireless mouse, so it only takes one USB dongle for both keyboard and mouse.

I've never had any roll-over problems with either keyboard.

The Logitech 800 is considerably cheaper at Amazon than at Newegg - $69.99 vs $86.99 at the moment.

wraith808:
Logitech K740 (amazon) may be an option.
I always have a look at negative reviews, which can be off-putting:

* type any three keys in quick succession and the third gets lost (including n't and ine). Appears to be hardware issue i.e. planned by Logitech. May not be a big problem for me as I slow typist.
* black on keys getting worn away, backlight shining through -- this could be a problem, but guess I could send it back if it happened
* is with cable-tomos (February 16, 2016, 05:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have that keyboard at work, am a reasonably fast typist, and have not seen issue 1.  I have also not seen the second issue, and I've had it for a while.

tomos:
thanks for those comments :up:

I have that keyboard [Logitech K740] at work, am a reasonably fast typist, and have not seen issue 1.
-wraith808 (February 16, 2016, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

do you know if three-key shortcuts work? Lots of gamers complain that some particular combos of three keys dont work on it -- I dont care about the gaming aspect, but do use multiple shortcuts with three, and even some with four keys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version