ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Picasa to be 'phased out'

<< < (4/6) > >>

Ath:
Adding 4 advertising/promotion links in your, otherwise useful, first-post is about 99.9% sure to assign you a spam-ban  >:(

Please explain or remove those non-relevant links.

Stoic Joker:
Adding 4 advertising/promotion links in your, otherwise useful, first-post is about 99.9% sure to assign you a spam-ban  >:(

Please explain or remove those non-relevant links.
-Ath (March 28, 2016, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

??? I see no ad links in FP, and there is no edit listed for it either ... Bugg on your end perhaps?

mouser:
He's talking about a post from a person who was banned, and the posts deleted (and are hence missing now).
Tip: If someone posts spam, you can bet they are going to be banned and deleted, usually within minutes, so not much point in replying to them, just wave bye-bye from the other end of your screen :)

dr_andus:
In my experience Picasa only stores another copy of a photo if you tell it to.
-JavaJones (March 18, 2016, 02:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in the middle of backing up my photos online from an external drive using IDrive and somehow the data appeared to be vastly more than what I could see in the drive. Upon closer look, once I checked the paths of individual files in IDrive, it turned out Picasa had several hidden folders in there with huge amount of data. The path looked like this

My Pictures\.Picasa3Temp [empty]
My Pictures\.Picasa3Temp_1 [6GB]
My Pictures\.Picasa3Temp_2 [7GB]
My Pictures\.Picasa3Temp_3 [470kb]
My Pictures\.Picasa3Temp_4 [empty]

So thanks to Picasa I was backing up 13GB of photos I didn't even know existed! And Temp_1 and Temp_2 are 90% identical, so Picasa definitely produces duplicates the user knows nothing about.

On the positive side, these are photos I didn't have copies of elsewhere (came from a family member's backed-up drive). But still, I would have preferred if these weren't sitting in a hidden folder in the first place. And I don't want to be paying for online storage of duplicates and triplicates that I don't know are even there...

dr_andus:
P.S. Having turned on "Show invisible files" in my file manager, now I'm discovering several hidden Picasa folders that are resulting in backups of photos that were hidden to me. These folders are in a directory that looks like

My Pictures\2011-05-22\.picasaoriginals

It looks like .picasaoriginals are hidden folders for the originals of photos that were modified (e.g. cropped) by the user.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version