ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Picasa to be 'phased out'

(1/6) > >>

tomos:
Google kills off Picasa to focus its efforts on Google Photos - PCWorld

“After much thought and consideration, we’ve decided to retire Picasa over the coming months in order to focus entirely on a single photo service in Google Photos,”  Anil Sabharwal, the head of the Google Photos team said
--- End quote ---

google kills....

wraith808:
I do understand the sentiment- but they've provided it for a while now, and are a company.  What responsibility do the companies that provide these free services have to us, and what responsibilities do we have to ourselves?

I use this app FetchNotes. They recently announced that they are shutting down the service.  One of the owners said that he'd foot the bill for a while, while they found a way to keep going without their angels.  I think after the hue and cry, it would be an interesting statistical exercise to compare that to the donations.  I put up $3.50 a month- it was what it was worth to me.  How many others will follow suit, I wonder.

http://www.fetchnotes.com/views/donate_landing.html

tomos:
^ yeah, I know what you mean.
Guess I'm a bit disillusioned what with thinking lately of the insecurity of google products.
I dont even use Picasa myself, but have recommended it's to lots of more basic users I know. It had it's flaws, but also a lot of great points.

EDIT// it's also another step in the drift away from desktop...

IainB:
^ yeah, I know what you mean.
Guess I'm a bit disillusioned what with thinking lately of the insecurity of google products.
I dont even use Picasa myself, but have recommended it's to lots of more basic users I know. It had it's flaws, but also a lot of great points.

EDIT// it's also another step in the drift away from desktop...
-tomos (February 15, 2016, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking as a longtime Picasa user, I'm not sure that's necessarily the case. The Picasa client tool is a standalone piece of software, rather like the early Evernote client was standalone. One issue seems to potentially be whether Google are deprecating some of the the standalone functionality (e.g., metadata database, including facial recognition) in Picasa, and if so, then why? Otherwise Google Photos seems all good, no?
An analytical  comparison of Picasa v. Google Photos would seem to be in order...   :tellme:

IainB:
Though I haven't yet evaluated Google Photos, it seems that one area of Picas functionality - face recognition - is absent in most/all of the alternatives.
Seeking alternatives to Google Picasa? Look no further!

I find the face recognition tremendously useful in automating name-tagging.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version