topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Facebook Page Image Downloader And Sharing Utility  (Read 5401 times)

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
  • C# data manipulation junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Facebook Page Image Downloader And Sharing Utility
« on: February 08, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Facebook and I don't get along from a developing standpoint, and I was wondering if someone else might be able to crack this out much easier and more efficiently than I could.

I want a program which downloads all image posts from a public facebook page. Trick is, I don't only want the posted images, I want the ones shared by the page as well. While the program is open it will check for new posts and see if there is a new image posted or shared and downloads it once posted.

When the program starts, the facebook page is checked against a local database of already downloaded images and begins picking up where it left off.

The program should also double (why not) as an notification program, sharing the image (and maybe the texts too?) via eMail or MMS as updates to the page are made in somewhat real-time.

This would make a part of my life tremendously automated if someone were to help me get this working!
If I do it more than 2 times I want to automate it in C#!

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Facebook Page Image Downloader And Sharing Utility
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Okay, so I have a prototype working. I had to register the program with Facebook and get my keys and all that but I am successfully pulling photo data from a facebook page and downloading the images.

I also have the program sending out SMS text messages, however I need a new modem, which I ordered, to handle sending out MMS text messages.

This is a lot more fun than I expected. However, because it uses my personal auth_token to connect to Facebook, I can not distribute working source code. =(

Rockets

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 06:31 AM »
Why dont you replace your auth_token with xxxx and upload your code?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 06:46 AM »
I also have the program sending out SMS text messages, however I need a new modem, which I ordered, to handle sending out MMS text messages.

A modem?? You should be able to just Email those to the provider in question's message server: [email protected]. They usually have two different target addresses, one for plain text, and one for media stuff.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Or use a service like Twilio which allows you to send SMS and other messages.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 06:52 PM »

A modem?? You should be able to just Email those to the provider in question's message server: [email protected]. They usually have two different target addresses, one for plain text, and one for media stuff.

Only applicable if the provider allows you to do it, in Australia you can't because the sender pays for the SMS/MMS and they can't bill an email address.  It would also stop unwanted charging in a recipient pays system.

But there are plenty of 3rd party SMS<->email gateways available, eg. I use SMSGlobal for email to SMS.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:58 PM by 4wd »

Asudem

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Whew, never expected this thread to get resurrected.

I finally obtained a device that allows me to send MMS messages through C#, however finding a reasonably priced SIM card provider is just impossible.

Twillo is an option I looked into and may stick with, as I would just be sending a few MMS to a handful of numbers.

I haven't looked at my code in a while so I will go through it, clean it up, document, and post it when I get some time.