ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Salaries of Charity CEOs

<< < (4/5) > >>

Shades:
@cranioscopical:
Why limit that rule to charities only?

Renegade:
@cranioscopical:
Why limit that rule to charities only?
-Shades (April 14, 2011, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why limit it to CEOs only? :P

Muahahahah~!

Carol Haynes:
But this does not mean that no money is required for the internal/external upkeep. You would not believe (no pun intended) the cost involved to keep those old buildings standing. And how much the work of the required level of expertise in masonry/woodworking/metalworking costs nowadays.
-Shades (April 14, 2011, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's all very true BUT there is also a huge amount of wealth inside the church (beyond the buildings and land) - esp. the Roman Catholic Church which has billions in art treasures.

Personally I think all the old buildings should be given to communities to use for community purposes (then there would be a reason for people to pay to maintain the buildings). The point of the church is (or at least should be) religious belief - not land and building management. They can always rent a hall for services and then focus on what is important rather than fund raising for ancient stones.

40hz:
My GF and I always check the financial reports (and ratios) of any charity before we contribute. Our general rule of thumb is: no more than 15% of the total intake should be used for administrative purposes (i.e. salaries, expenses, communications, fundraising activities, etc.). At least 85% of all contributions should go directly to the cause.

Any activity has expenses associated with it. Charities are no different. But we like them to be kept withing reasonable limits. We have no use for so-called charities that spend 50% or 60% of the contributions they receive on salaries and overhead.

tomos:
Coincidentally I just came across this today about a charity called "ONE":
ONE has since been forced to remind confused civilians that it is an advocacy organisation and not a grant-making organisation. This became necessary after the New York Post revealed that in 2008, the most recent year for which tax records are available, ONE took $14,993,873 in donations from philanthropists, of which a thrifty $184,732 was distributed to charity. More than $8m was spent on executive and employee salaries.
--- End quote ---

Who knows, maybe they use the money well...

from an interesting Guardian article: Bono: the celebrity who just keeps giving. (including a very entertaining urban myth in the first paragraph)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version