ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Salaries of Charity CEOs

<< < (3/5) > >>

Deozaan:
This is why I almost always donate to charities where 100% of the money goes to the cause, and all work is done by unpaid volunteers.

Renegade:
If you look at it as "enlightened self-interest", it's in the best interest of the charity to get a CEO that can push them forward as much as possible, and if you can get someone that can triple your ability to help people, and your current CEO is making $300,000, then why not pay $900,000 for that new CEO? You're ahead, and the people you help are better off for it.

Yeah, it seems idiotic, but I can see why charities would pay more for a good CEO.

Then there's Sarah Palin's daughter who made something like 10x the amount the charity actually spent on the cause...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110407/twl-teen-sex-charity-pays-bristol-palin-3fd0ae9.html

http://www.onlinecardonation.org/charitynews/archives/163

Non-Profit Pays Bristol Palin $262,500, Donates Only $35,000 to Charity
--- End quote ---

A lot of charities are scams or end up as scams. That makes the CEO salary a very touchy issue.

I simply won't donate to charities that I don't know.

wraith808:
This is why I almost always donate to charities where 100% of the money goes to the cause, and all work is done by unpaid volunteers.
-Deozaan (April 14, 2011, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can't have people fully devoted to the cause if they're unpaid volunteers- it's just the way of the world that they have to have money for essentials, so they have to work for someone else, and those influences can spill over (not necessarily intentionally).  That's why I'm in favor of them getting decent salaries- so they have some other sort of incentive to make sure that the funds are distributed well.

cranioscopical:
Here's an idea…

Pay CEOs private-sector-level salaries but have them shot at the end of the year if they've not performed  :o

Renegade:
Here's an idea…

Pay CEOs private-sector-level salaries but have them shot at the end of the year if they've not performed  :o
-cranioscopical (April 14, 2011, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not very charitable~! :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version