ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Keybase and the Keybase Filesystem (KBFS)

<< < (7/10) > >>

Shades:
How are those keys generated in keybase?  It could be the case that such keys can be regenerated if the persons behind keybase use the unique values that occur in your system, such as the code of how the HD registers itself in Windows (not type/model number, it is quite a long and unique code), MAC address(es) of your NIC(s), user account that is used for installation, your keybase username/password etc. 

All of those are indicators that you are still you and you are using the same system, so the base of trust is still there. With that in mind I can imagine keys could be regenerated. Though it would be better that you ask the people behind keybase if keys can be regenerated. Or perhaps their FAQ will tell you.

Myself, I am a proponent of wiping everything clean when removing software using Revo. Usually, the bigger the name of the software suite you want to remove, the amount of registry entries and files they leave behind is bigger too. That Oracle XE story, Revo removed over 100 file and entries. Adobe and MS Office are also messy.

After seeing that I began to use and appreciate portable software so much more...

Deozaan:
I think I was unclear: I already made a backup of my Keybase keys, so I had Revo get rid of everything that was left behind by the uninstaller. But Keybase still isn't working for me after reinstalling. :(

Shades:
Assuming that Keybase is showing you the loading screen while it tries to establish the connection in the background...perhaps the train of thought is too simple, but did you install something lately that might conflict with the port Keybase uses to establish the connection?

For example: if I want to start a test web server on my Windows machine, I need to kill Skype first, because it hogs either port 80 or port 443. After the test server started up, I can start Skype back up again and both tools work without any problems.

Something similar could happen on your system.

Deozaan:
I've wondered if maybe there is a connection being blocked by my ad blocker. But according to the Github issue I linked earlier, it seems to be a lack of write access to the directory that is causing the problems.

wraith808:
I've wondered if maybe there is a connection being blocked by my ad blocker. But according to the Github issue I linked earlier, it seems to be a lack of write access to the directory that is causing the problems.
-Deozaan (March 04, 2017, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you know the directory in question?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version