topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Keybase and the Keybase Filesystem (KBFS)  (Read 24111 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Keybase Filesystem
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Keybase updated itself today and now I'm stuck on the loading screen again...

Mine did also, but it worked flawlessly.  I'm going to try on my other machine, because it didn't autoupdate, and see if I get the same results.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 01:17 AM »
Keybase updated itself today and now I'm stuck on the loading screen again...

Mine did also, but it worked flawlessly.  I'm going to try on my other machine, because it didn't autoupdate, and see if I get the same results.

Mine wasn't as easily solved as last time. In fact, it's still unresolved after completely uninstalling Keybase and deleting all the folders it stores data in and rebooting before reinstalling it.

More details here: https://github.com/k...e/client/issues/5917

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 05:43 AM »
No problems here with auto-update here either (Win 10). After reading the GitHub thread, how do you uninstall? While a lot of software does uninstall itself relatively well, most software doesn't, even when using the 'Programs and Features' in the control panel.

Seriously, use a tool like Revo Uninstaller Pro (free an commercial license available, can be used as a portable app) or similar software and see for yourself how badly most software uninstalls itself. I started to use this type of software after unsuccessfully trying to re-install Oracle (XE) software for hours. One time uninstalling it with Revo (in my case) and re-install worked the first time around. Since then, the portable app version of Revo has been part of my toolkit since and don't even bother trying to uninstall any software without it anymore.

The Revo software creates a system restore point first, then starts the official uninstaller that comes with the software and when that is finished, it asks you how extensively it should look for remainders in registry and file-system. Personally, I always use the most extensive option. After a while (depending on size of your registry and available computer resources) the registry is searched through and you get a list of entries that can be removed safely, then a similar procedure starts for the file-system. Only then you have properly uninstalled software and you have seen for yourself how badly software behaves with their standard uninstaller.

Just saying.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 10:38 AM »
No problem with the auto-update on either of my machines (both Windows 10).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Seriously, use a tool like Revo Uninstaller Pro

I just tried using Revo. After the uninstaller finished, there were 3 remaining entries in the registry, and the two directories I had previously manually deleted the last time I tried it. So while it certainly did leave something behind, I wouldn't exactly call that badly behaved uninstaller, especially since with something like Keybase where private keys are concerned, you wouldn't want the uninstaller to delete those.

I rebooted and reinstalled Keybase. Same loading screen problem. :(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:09 PM by Deozaan »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 06:18 PM »
How are those keys generated in keybase?  It could be the case that such keys can be regenerated if the persons behind keybase use the unique values that occur in your system, such as the code of how the HD registers itself in Windows (not type/model number, it is quite a long and unique code), MAC address(es) of your NIC(s), user account that is used for installation, your keybase username/password etc. 

All of those are indicators that you are still you and you are using the same system, so the base of trust is still there. With that in mind I can imagine keys could be regenerated. Though it would be better that you ask the people behind keybase if keys can be regenerated. Or perhaps their FAQ will tell you.

Myself, I am a proponent of wiping everything clean when removing software using Revo. Usually, the bigger the name of the software suite you want to remove, the amount of registry entries and files they leave behind is bigger too. That Oracle XE story, Revo removed over 100 file and entries. Adobe and MS Office are also messy.

After seeing that I began to use and appreciate portable software so much more...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 09:03 PM »
I think I was unclear: I already made a backup of my Keybase keys, so I had Revo get rid of everything that was left behind by the uninstaller. But Keybase still isn't working for me after reinstalling. :(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 07:13 AM »
Assuming that Keybase is showing you the loading screen while it tries to establish the connection in the background...perhaps the train of thought is too simple, but did you install something lately that might conflict with the port Keybase uses to establish the connection?

For example: if I want to start a test web server on my Windows machine, I need to kill Skype first, because it hogs either port 80 or port 443. After the test server started up, I can start Skype back up again and both tools work without any problems.

Something similar could happen on your system.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 01:38 PM »
I've wondered if maybe there is a connection being blocked by my ad blocker. But according to the Github issue I linked earlier, it seems to be a lack of write access to the directory that is causing the problems.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 02:42 PM »
I've wondered if maybe there is a connection being blocked by my ad blocker. But according to the Github issue I linked earlier, it seems to be a lack of write access to the directory that is causing the problems.

Do you know the directory in question?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 03:26 PM »
Do you know the directory in question?

Yes. All the details are there in the Github issue I linked. It's my AppData/Local/Keybase folder.

And actually I probably misspoke. It doesn't have a problem writing other files to that directory. In fact there were over 50k files written to that directory, because every time it tried to write to a specific file in that folder, and it couldn't, it would instead write it to a unique temporary file. So I guess it's not a lack of directory write access, but it seems to be having trouble reading/writing one (or a few) specific file(s).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 09:04 PM »
The reason I mentioned ports being blocked, I now have the same problem as you do. And the only thing that happened between a working keybase system and the current situation is a power failure. I leave that system running at night as it performing a time-consuming task, but in the morning I found it was off. Rebooting the PC wasn't a problem, but it looks like it isn't able to log into keybase. After I checked back in 15-20 minutes or so, the loading screen was gone.

Trying to login again using the tray icon results in the same loading screen, which takes the same amount of time to disappear again.

This is what the keybase application log looks like on my system:
Clipboard01.pngKeybase and the Keybase Filesystem (KBFS)

And these entries look more like connection problems to me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:16 PM by Shades »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 12:51 AM »
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

So, has anyone here have any stories of how they've used Keybase for anything other than just playing around with it for a bit until the novelty wore off?

There are things about Keybase that I like, but so far I haven't found myself having much real-world application for it.

I'd love to hear from anyone else here what their use-cases have been with Keybase.

Also, I have many invites remaining, so if someone here doesn't have a Keybase account and needs/wants an invite, I'd be happy to send you one.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: Keybase OpenPGP v2.0.73
Comment: https://keybase.io/crypto
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=S8+v
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

To verify that it was actually me who wrote the above ( :P ), you can copy and paste it onto https://keybase.io/verify

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Keybase launches fully encrypted Slack-like communication tool--and it's free

I've reserved the DonationCoder team name. Not that I expect anyone to use it :P. But if there's some interest from others here let me know and I'll invite you to join. Or you can request access yourself using the command line:

keybase team request-access donationcoder

More info can be found from the Keybase blog, including this teaser:
This is only the beginning; the GUI is evolving fast and we'll have another announcement in ~2 weeks about encrypted git for teams. (Spoiler: truly private repos.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:16 PM by Deozaan »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Ok, now the request does work in the Keybase installation on my Windows computer. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 07:35 PM »
Ok, now the request does work in the Keybase installation on my Windows computer. :)

Funny, you requested access and I independently invited you shortly thereafter without realizing you had requested access. :P

I've also invited a few of the people on Keybase who I know from DC. If anyone else wants an invite, let me know your Keybase username. 8)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Keybase and the Keybase Filesystem (KBFS)
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 04:13 AM »
All this for me is new.
I have installed Keybase. I see Deozaan uses also.

Do you recommend https://ipfs.io/docs/getting-started/ also, or is enough with Keybase ?

:-*

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 05:57 AM »
I have installed Keybase. I see Deozaan uses also.

Do you recommend https://ipfs.io/docs/getting-started/ also, or is enough with Keybase ?

I think IPFS and KBFS are different enough that they can coexist and serve different needs.

FYI the IPFS thread is here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=41728.0

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Thanks Deozaan , I'm going to the new link
 :-[

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 11:09 AM »
Keybase has recently launched encrypted git repositories. Both personal and team repositories are available.

It is end-to-end encrypted. It's hosted, like, say, GitHub, but only you (and teammates) can decrypt any of it. To Keybase, all is but a garbled mess. To you, it's a regular checkout with no extra steps.

Even your repository names and branch names are encrypted, and thus unreadable by Keybase staff or infiltrators.

We think this is better than paying a fee to store it in plaintext. Remember, it is impossible to delete cloud data with any kind of confidence, and your host may already be compromised.

I'm a fan of what Keybase is doing. I like privacy-by-default technologies, and ones that make it as easy as Keybase does (when it works). Here's a good example of what I mean:

Everything is signed.

All data you push is signed by your device's private key, which never leaves your device. Fetches are cryptographically verified or else they'll fail. Unlike casual PGP signing of commits, which no one in the world ever does, this is fully enforced for yourself or team.

You don't need to think about it: if you do a git pull, you'll only get the data if it's bit-for-bit exactly what the pusher pushed.

They even include a wizard to help you move a repo from some of the other git hosting services (github, etc.) into an encrypted Keybase git repo! (But it requires using the command line.)

Read more on their blog post here: https://keybase.io/b...ted-git-for-everyone
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:23 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Looks interesting- but it's not in my installation, which makes me sad.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Looks interesting- but it's not in my installation, which makes me sad.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying the feature isn't available for you? If so, have you updated the app since they launched this feature? I can see it on my mobile (Android) device. I have to click the hamburger menu (settings) to get to it, but it's there. I also updated the app on Linux and I see the git tab on the sidebar.

I only wish the feature supported Mercurial as well, because I prefer that over git. But I'm still glad to see this even without Hg support.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 05:31 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 08:43 PM »
It is not available to me, and I've tried to restart the service to see if it would update on my desktop.  (This is desktop that I'm referring to.)

So I tried to check on my mobile after your post, and it's there.  Maybe they just haven't pushed it out to desktop yet.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 11:10 PM »
Try manually installing the latest version from their download link here: https://keybase.io/download

That's what I did to get the feature on the Linux client.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2017, 12:04 AM »
For Windows it appears that re-installing instead of updating is the way to go. Myself I had also issues when updating. And none after re-installing. The Windows client is not the highest priority. Linux, Mac, iOS and Android get more "love" than the Windows desktop App.