ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Keybase and the Keybase Filesystem (KBFS)

<< < (6/10) > >>

wraith808:
Keybase updated itself today and now I'm stuck on the loading screen again...
-Deozaan (February 17, 2017, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mine did also, but it worked flawlessly.  I'm going to try on my other machine, because it didn't autoupdate, and see if I get the same results.

Deozaan:
Keybase updated itself today and now I'm stuck on the loading screen again...
-Deozaan (February 17, 2017, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mine did also, but it worked flawlessly.  I'm going to try on my other machine, because it didn't autoupdate, and see if I get the same results.
-wraith808 (February 17, 2017, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mine wasn't as easily solved as last time. In fact, it's still unresolved after completely uninstalling Keybase and deleting all the folders it stores data in and rebooting before reinstalling it.

More details here: https://github.com/keybase/client/issues/5917

Shades:
No problems here with auto-update here either (Win 10). After reading the GitHub thread, how do you uninstall? While a lot of software does uninstall itself relatively well, most software doesn't, even when using the 'Programs and Features' in the control panel.

Seriously, use a tool like Revo Uninstaller Pro (free an commercial license available, can be used as a portable app) or similar software and see for yourself how badly most software uninstalls itself. I started to use this type of software after unsuccessfully trying to re-install Oracle (XE) software for hours. One time uninstalling it with Revo (in my case) and re-install worked the first time around. Since then, the portable app version of Revo has been part of my toolkit since and don't even bother trying to uninstall any software without it anymore.

The Revo software creates a system restore point first, then starts the official uninstaller that comes with the software and when that is finished, it asks you how extensively it should look for remainders in registry and file-system. Personally, I always use the most extensive option. After a while (depending on size of your registry and available computer resources) the registry is searched through and you get a list of entries that can be removed safely, then a similar procedure starts for the file-system. Only then you have properly uninstalled software and you have seen for yourself how badly software behaves with their standard uninstaller.

Just saying.

wraith808:
No problem with the auto-update on either of my machines (both Windows 10).

Deozaan:
Seriously, use a tool like Revo Uninstaller Pro
-Shades (March 03, 2017, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just tried using Revo. After the uninstaller finished, there were 3 remaining entries in the registry, and the two directories I had previously manually deleted the last time I tried it. So while it certainly did leave something behind, I wouldn't exactly call that badly behaved uninstaller, especially since with something like Keybase where private keys are concerned, you wouldn't want the uninstaller to delete those.

I rebooted and reinstalled Keybase. Same loading screen problem. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version