topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: In-Car Emergency Kit - Your Recommendations  (Read 22509 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In-Car Emergency Kit - Your Recommendations
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Stephen,
I think you'll need a bigger car ;)

Looks like I'm going to need to go to: http://www.usedcoachsales.co.uk/ haha

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 04:54 PM »
So after looking at all these excellent recommendations, something like this looks like a good bet too (assuming your "in" includes "on")...

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Or perhaps a fold up electric bicycle? (With an inflatable bike in the saddlebag in case the electric bike breaks down.)   :Thmbsup:

ttlurker

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 11:19 AM »
A few disposable latex (or non latex) gloves can keep your hands clean and dry if you need to fill oil, or other fluids.
If you need to change your tires, a pad for kneeling or a couple of the pads used by flooring installers to strap on to your knees can help.
Some sort of traction pad or a container of kitty litter can help you get unstuck from ice or muddy situations.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 12:03 PM »
A few disposable latex (or non latex) gloves can keep your hands clean and dry if you need to fill oil, or other fluids.

i'm a huge fan of the 100 pack disposable latex gloves.  use them all the time around the house, etc.

likewise, your suggestion about the kneeling pads is also a good tip in general when you have to work on your knees (though carrying one in the car has too much of a size-to-benefit ratio to be worth it for me).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:13 PM by mouser »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 01:36 PM »
if we go out at 2am and end up in Scotland or Wales (this happens way more often than you would think)

If you start out in America and end up in Scotland, you have definitely gotten lost. If you start out in America and end up in China, who will believe you even if they can understand you. If you start out from home and later notice 2 moons in the sky, give up all hope of getting home.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:43 PM by Arizona Hot »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 02:32 PM »
I know you said multi-tool, but to be more explicit about a few tools that many don't think about until its too late - window breaker, seatbelt cutter, and pry bar.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 06:21 PM »
I know you said multi-tool, but to be more explicit about a few tools that many don't think about until its too late - window breaker, seatbelt cutter, and pry bar.

Don't forget the acetylene torch in case you have to burn your way out!  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 08:28 PM »

And don't forget to put them in the boot since they're not the kind of things you want flying around in the cabin during an accident.   :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 06:56 AM »

And don't forget to put them in the boot since they're not the kind of things you want flying around in the cabin during an accident.   :P

For some reason all I can think of is Ford Pinto.  The remarkable engineering feat of having the top of the gas tank and the floor of the trunk one piece of metal.  That one case made Gerry Spence a household name(at least after the 60 minutes show profiled him.)  Speaking of compressed gases in the trunk, a guy I worked with who scuba dived as a hobby claimed he had a tank let go on him one time.  He said it borrowed 8 feet into the sand by the time the pressure was exhausted.