ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In-Car Emergency Kit - Your Recommendations

(1/7) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
I currently have a new car on order (Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer SRi 1.6 Turbo) and was wondering what In-Car Emergency stuff you guys recommend!

In-Car Emergency Kit - Your Recommendations

First off, I have chose this:

http://www.right-light.co.uk/nightsearcher-starstarter-battery-jump-starter-portable-floodlight.html
5-in-1 Solution

1) LED floodlight.
2) Battery jump starter (comes complete with jump start leads).
3) 150W 240V AC inverter to power laptops etc.
4) USB DC 5V 800mA output - to power mobile phones, tablets etc.
5) DC 12V car cigarette lighter output socket.
Features & Specifications:

Lumen Output: 2200 lumens.
Light Source: LED.
Run Time: High - 9 hours. Low - 21 hours.
Battery: 12V 14Ah SLA.
--- End quote ---

Seems like it will be very helpful in a lot of situations, and for the price is totally worth it!

I will also be getting:

• In-Car Inverter (12V>Normal Plug)
• Multipurpose Tools
• Privacy Curtains for all windows (These will be custom made by my mother to fit the windows and attach via suction cups)
• Double sleeping bag + double duvet (will be vacuum packed to minimize space taken)
• Toiletries
• Cheap prepaid phone (fully charged with credit for calls)
• Chocolates/Tinned Food/Energy Drinks/Tea Bags/Instant Coffee/Sugar/Coffee Whitener, etc
• Doggy Kibble (We have a dog, so...)
• Ramen Noodles
• In-Car Kettle (mainly so I can have coffee when in the middle of nowhere...we take random drives so this one is for convenience mainly)
• Mini Gas Stove

I've probably missed something, so I will update if I can remember - All of these will be going in a storage container of some sort in where the spare wheel usually would be (seeing as new cars don't come with a spare anymore...might as well make use of that space!)

We plan to sleep in the car on long trips, so a lot of this stuff will end up being used on our random camp-outs!
Anybody want to add anything, or suggest anything?

x16wda:
I would recommend a green laser pointer or two - they're cheap, and if you are out of sight of the road for some emergency, the beam could help locate where you are. Or use it for a star pointer (as my son calls it) and point out the constellations before you head off to sleep.

KynloStephen66515:
I would recommend a green laser pointer or two - they're cheap, and if you are out of sight of the road for some emergency, the beam could help locate where you are. Or use it for a star pointer (as my son calls it) and point out the constellations before you head off to sleep.
-x16wda (February 05, 2016, 05:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Already own a couple of awesome ones (can be seen in pretty bright sunlight) because my dog things he is a cat and he chases the dot lmao

tomos:
Seeing as it's a new car you're may not have to really worry much about this aspect:

I know from using jump leads between cars that the quality of the cables and connectors make a huge difference, i.e. cheaper ones sometimes work, but often dont, for no obvious reason.

KynloStephen66515:
Seeing as it's a new car you're may not have to really worry much about this aspect:

I know from using jump leads between cars that the quality of the cables and connectors make a huge difference, i.e. cheaper ones sometimes work, but often dont, for no obvious reason.
-tomos (February 05, 2016, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really fussed about the jump leads part of that one, mainly everything else it comes with.

Most of the items I have chosen are useful for if we go out at 2am and end up in Scotland or Wales (this happens way more often than you would think) and if we end up there...instead of driving straight home, we can just find somewhere to park, and go to sleep, and have he comforts of everything in the kit with us.  I agree that with it being a new car, the scenario of breaking down and being stranded are remote..but the possibility of visibility hitting 0 due to fog/snow/rain and us having to stop because of it, is very high (fog is a bit of a problem here and has caused us 1-2 hour stops more than I care to remember).

I'd just like to be prepared for any eventuality :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version