topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Prediction: In the year 2010, all Digg Stories will be about Digg  (Read 9170 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Don't get me wrong, digg.com finds some good stuff.

But right now about 10% of all stories posted and promoted on digg.com seem to be about digg.com.

My bold prediction:
"By the year 2010, all stories making their way onto the digg frontpage will be about digg.com"

:huh:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You might actually be right. But, on the other hand, will digg still exit on 2010?

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
it will happen in 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:36 AM »
I think it will happen much much earlier. Next AOL Time Warner et al. will enter the "market". Things will detoriate quickly from then: all these sites will write about themselves to increase advertising revenues. Users will run away and find different means of finding "important stuff" (maybe by joining dc.com or sites such as craigslist, freebay or whatever).

I give this system of intransparent ratings two years. It has been hyped too much. Two years, because there are lot of internet users that haven't seen the hysteria behind this kind of sites.

We have to find a better way to promote things that are important to us; a reliable, untainted way. I do not know of a good way...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think it will happen much much earlier. Next AOL Time Warner et al. will enter the "market".

It has already happened...take a look at the new netscape.com.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
anyone got any feelings about the new netscape - looks interesting to me - i use digg.com to keep me amused at work so netscape looks intriguing.

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I haven't been to netscape.com in ages. I feel it's like an old club or shopping mall: once good, now dying. digg.com I visit rarely; somehow it just doesn't seem cool anymore (to me)...

I can't even bothered to check netscape.com right now! dc.com and my site are much more interesting and important to me
:)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
didn't digg.com 'officially' stop being cool the first time it was reported in the mass media - i haven't a clue when that was but that's the rule as we all know.

cool or not it's still a useful site - for time wasting and finding the occasional interesting link. (what else is it meant to be for?)

the new netscape.com is super uncool from the day of it's inception - it still might be entertaining, i don't know...

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Prediction: In the year 2010, all Digg Stories will be about Digg
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 03:34 AM »
Techcrunch has an article about recent developents at digg.

...Digg will soon be implementing a new algorithm that weighs a diversified group of Diggers more heavily than groups acting together

When digg manages to "get the curve" as we Germans say, I might consider giving it another shot. If they aren't at least a little convincing their new rating system will work "better" (from my POV), then I will never speak of it again.