ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

How to copy command line output in an alias?

(1/2) > >>

jolleyjoe:
Hi everyone! Loving FARR.

I am having some issues using a pipe ("|") within an alias:

echo test |clip

--- End quote ---

but the pipe has a special meaning within an alias.

Is there a way I can escape the pipe?
Is there another way I can easily copy the output of a command within an alias? I looked into copyclip "Special/Virtual Launch Strings/Commands", but could not figure out a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help!

mouser:
try using double quotes to surround the commandline.

jolleyjoe:
try using double quotes to surround the commandline.
-mouser (February 03, 2016, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the lightning fast response!

Trying this as the alias:

--- Code: Text ---"echo $$1 | clip"
Running `test` shows `echo $$1` without the `| clip` part, so it seems that it may still not be escaping the pipe ("|") symbol properly. Any other suggestions?

mouser:
I'm going to have to look into the escaping of pipe character -- i thought that putting it in double quotes should work, but it's definitely possible I'm wrong.

But getting back to what you are trying to do..

Can you elaborate a little more on exactly what you are trying to do .. FARR does have commands for copying things to the clipboard, etc.

jolleyjoe:
I'm going to have to look into the escaping of pipe character -- i thought that putting it in double quotes should work, but it's definitely possible I'm wrong.

But getting back to what you are trying to do..

Can you elaborate a little more on exactly what you are trying to do .. FARR does have commands for copying things to the clipboard, etc.
-mouser (February 03, 2016, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a script that will fetch results of a query, for example:

--- Code: Text ---> path/to/script 20 ft to yards20 feet = 6.6 yards
I'd like to get that output into my clipboard without adding the clipping functionality to the script itself. Please let me know if I can help clarify further.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version