topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Copy Being Discontinued as of May 1, 2016  (Read 7279 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Copy Being Discontinued as of May 1, 2016
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Copy, the dropbox also ran by barracuda networks, is being discontinued on May 1, 2016.

More information should be able to be found at https://techlib.barr...OPY/Copy+End-of-Life, but it is under heavy load, so not loading for me currently, so I have no further details right now, but there is a topic on reddit: https://www.reddit.c..._being_discontinued/

The largest bonus of Copy was that they had a native Linux client.  Other choices for refugees on Linux appear to be SpiderOak, Owncloud, Dropbox, and InSync.

Copied from the site:
We are announcing today that the Copy and CudaDrive services will be discontinued on May 1, 2016.
Copy and CudaDrive have provided easy-to-use cloud file services and sharing functionality to millions of users the past 4+ years. However, as our business focus has shifted, we had to make the difficult decision to discontinue the Copy and CudaDrive services and allocate those resources elsewhere. For more information on this decision, please view the blog post from Rod Mathews, our GM of Storage.
We know this comes as disappointing news to our users, but rest assured that we will do everything we can to take care of each of you in the manner for which Barracuda is known. We have created a step by step guide that walks you through the process of moving your data to a local hard drive or another cloud storage solution.
If you are on a paid subscription for either Copy or CudaDrive, please keep an eye out in the coming days for an email with more detailed information on your options. For additional information, please visit our FAQ page.
Thank you to everyone for your support.
All the best,
The Copy & CudaDrive Team

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Copy Being Discontinued as of May 1, 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:26 PM »
The site is back up, now... with a blog post.

from https://blog.barracu...-from-gm-of-storage/

A message from Rod Mathews, VP & GM, Storage Business, regarding the Copy/CudaDrive EOL

Hi,

At Barracuda we have always strived to make great products that deliver ease of use and affordability. We are constantly evaluating our product portfolio in the context of our overall strategic goals. With that in mind, we have begun a process to focus our resources on our most strategic initiatives and to drive more innovation and faster growth within those products.

As such, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue our Copy and CudaDrive services. We certainly do not take this lightly, and we appreciate the millions of customers who have used the service, as well as the hard work and dedication of our product team over the past 4+ years.

While this is a big change, the path forward is an exciting one, as the CudaDrive engineering team will be joining forces with the Barracuda Backup team to accelerate the key initiatives for that product line. There is a huge amount of opportunity in Backup, Data Protection and Business Continuity features in the cloud, and adding the talented people from the CudaDrive team will allow us to more quickly and efficiently deploy new features and satisfy market and customer demands. The combined teams are a very impressive group, and we will be able to deliver much more to our backup customers and partners going forward.

We will continue to work hard to support our users through this transition, and have put together a detailed plan to ensure that we take care of all of our partners and customers in the manner for which Barracuda is known.

If you have any questions regarding this decision or Barracuda’s strategy moving forward, please feel free to reach out to me directly at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Rod Mathews

VP & GM, Storage Business

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:26 PM »
That's a lot of... what's the term for it? Corporate speak?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:08 PM »
That's a lot of... what's the term for it? Corporate speak?

My thoughts too.  They want to continue forward with no doubts about their future while screwing a whole lot of people that depended on their service.  So... that.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:57 PM »
Other choices for refugees on Linux appear to be SpiderOak, Owncloud, Dropbox, and InSync.

There's also Seafile which I now use instead of ownCloud on a VPS.

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:32 AM »
I'm pretty disappointed with this.  I thought this was going to be my final resting spot.  I have 30 GB of stuff stored up there and no idea where to go from here.

Isn't someone here at DC a big supported of SpiderOak?  I'd like to hear more about it, or other file sync services that people are using.  Are any of them worth the paid subscription?

Cheers!
Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Copy had the best Linux client besides DropBox, and a pretty generous initial space offering.  Shoulda seen this coming.  DropBox is pretty darn good, I just wish they offered more free space. 

As far as alternatives go, Box gave the most free space, but it doesn't have a Linux client, and though I can mount my Box account via webdav, it's just not the same as a nice app that can easily generate share links.  SpiderOak is nice for the encryption it offers, but good grief is it ever slow... Owncloud and Seafile are nice and certainly have their place (I have both on a spare box I also use for serving Minecraft and Teeworlds), but I don't keep my server on 24/7, so a personal cloud is not really a viable alternative.

Sigh.  One more down...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:53 PM »
For what it's worth, Dropbox fits my needs most of the time, but every time I use Mega I become more and more impressed with it. It also has mobile apps (iOS/Android) and desktop clients for Windows, OSX, and Linux, as well as browser extensions. And the 50GB of storage is nice, too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:44 PM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:14 PM »
... every time I use Mega I become more and more impressed with it. It also has mobile apps (iOS/Android) and desktop clients for Windows, OSX, and Linux, as well as browser extensions. And the 50GB of storage is nice, too.

I cross-quoted that here -- if you have any experience with sync between devices via Mega do let us know :up:
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 12:48 PM »
I cross-quoted that here -- if you have any experience with sync between devices via Mega do let us know :up:

Done. Thanks for letting me know. :)