topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What other forums do you participate in?  (Read 16629 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What other forums do you participate in?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01 PM »
The 'funniest' thing abut SO type sites is the ability of some to edit your question. Unless all those editors have super powers to clarify my dumb way of asking then sorry No. Yes I know some of the edits are for formatting but still that editing power is pointless at best imo.

It's actually not, and you see that once you can look from the other side.  It's not free-form editing, and the alternative, which is used a lot, is to put the question on hold/close the question.  That's what's used if there is a question of intent.  In most cases, when it says that the question was edited, it is because of formatting or tags.  And it's not just editing- the edits are peer reviewed.  And there is a strict rule of not changing intent unless you're the author.  It works, at least on the two SE sites that I have a high enough reputation to be a part of that side of things.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 10:41 PM »
Look at this way, if I post a question on DC, if unclear or poorly formatted mouser is not editing it. There is no reason he should. SE, SO are not doing anything better or revolutionary by doing it, peer reviewed or otherwise.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2016, 11:36 AM »
Look at this way, if I post a question on DC, if unclear or poorly formatted mouser is not editing it. There is no reason he should. SE, SO are not doing anything better or revolutionary by doing it, peer reviewed or otherwise.

The particular case that you're using to form your opinion, i.e. the question is unclear, they will vote to close.  Only in very specific instances is the text of the question edited.  Most of the edits are for tags.  It's just that it shows "edited" that is sometimes misleading.  We do the same here in regards to moderation.  Sometimes people put questions or things in the wrong place.  And they're moved, and a redirect is placed.  They don't have separate forums in SE.  They have tags for the same reason.  And most edits are for those.