topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Use a flash drive as memory in Windows XP?  (Read 3542 times)

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Use a flash drive as memory in Windows XP?
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:37 PM »
Use a flash drive as memory in Windows XP Although I would not use CNET as a source of software to avoid pups, I found the above article (and video) on how to use a thumb drive as RAM.

Someone comments as Genius321 Feb 14, 2012 I think I kinda figured it out, to make it work, you need to go to your "c" "Drive and select "no paging file" and click "Set." And then go to your usb and set it up, like the above instructions. If you don't do that, your computer will auto use the "c" drive and not the usb. 

My Gateway TA6 laptop (freebie with no documentation/paperwork) is already maxed out with 2GB ram, and I have a spare 2GB thumb drive to experiment with, and I wonder if there is a way to combine and get 4GB usable ram? Because it looks like, to get it to use the thumb drive in G:, I'd have to disable the resident 2GB ram in the motherboard?

I also have an unused slot for a memory card reader that I'm totally unfamiliar with as to what it uses, and same question can I get a memory card and reallocate it as extra ram (without disabling the 2GB motherboard ram)?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Use a flash drive as memory in Windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 12:07 AM »
This just sets your flash drive as the location for the paging file.  I think it's likely that the flash drive will be a slower paging device than your hard drive.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 03:51 AM »
As mwb says: this about the paging file.
The paging file is a file on your HD that gets used when memory is low -- it is slow (much slower than RAM) and will be even slower if on a usb stick.
The only advantage would be if you were very short of space, removing the paging file from the C drive would free up a little space.

My Gateway TA6 laptop (freebie with no documentation/paperwork) is already maxed out with 2GB ram, and I have a spare 2GB thumb drive to experiment with, and I wonder if there is a way to combine and get 4GB usable ram?
no,
that's not possible.

If you want to speed up the machine, you could try installing some version of Linux OS. I did that (dc link) on an old Win. 2000 laptop (with just 128MB ram!) and it worked quite well -- but you would need to get advice about it.
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08 AM »
Get an SSD hard disk. The biggest one your budget allows for. While the SSD may not perform to its max performance (it will be connected into an old laptop with a slower SATA hard disk controller after all), it will be a serious speed boost.

On average an SSD will be at least 10 times faster than the hard disk that is currently inside the laptop. And in holt's case, that is the only option left to speed up his windows-based laptop. If his current hardware setup cannot be adjusted, then replacing his Windows with a newbie-friendly Linux distribution (Linux Mint) would be a better option. Did you already check/fix the alignment of your hard disk? This will enable Windows to read/write faster to your hard disk. Windows will start working 10% to 15% faster after leaving the laptop on for a night while software is fixing alignment issues.

Removing the page file is not something I would advise anyone to do, even when they have 32GByte of RAM or more in their PC. Above 16GByte of RAM you can start reducing the size of the paging file. The Windows memory controller is smart enough to use the available RAM and won't mind working with a reduced page file. But no page file? Windows becomes unstable (the part that controls memory).

Disabling the onboard RAM?!? The only thing you accomplish with that is that the laptop won't boot at all! Anything you connect externally won't work as fast as the parts inside a laptop or PC. Never ever consider replacing internal parts with USB-based external parts to be a good or smart idea! Last resort option, sure.

holt

• Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 06:51 PM »
I'm glad I asked. I do already have an SSD hard disk. As per your advice (bottom) to create a backup before 'aligning', I have an external hard disk USB device on order so I can run an external hard drive and do that.