ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Dice analyzer machine project

<< < (6/19) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Camera looking down vs camera from underneath-mouser (January 20, 2016, 06:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Given the frequent use of 8 sided dice in you screen shots, I was thinking camera from the bottom using lightly smoked glass might make the extra non-relevant - yet visible - faces easier to ignore.

mouser:
i definitely need to experiment with camera from bottom facing up.

in fact i was wondering if it wouldnt be possible to use some kind of closing aperature ring on top surface that would simultaneously center the die AND block out all but the bottom-facing die face.. though that seems a bit far fetched.

mouser:
I was thinking camera from the bottom using lightly smoked glass might make the extra non-relevant - yet visible - faces easier to ignore.
--- End quote ---

i don't know enough about optics, but maybe someone who does could shed some light on the question of whether it's possible to create a glass "surface" (lens?) that had the effect of making something the details of an object laying flat against it very clear, but rapidly blurring anything that was even a couple of millimeters away...

to some extent, some of the privacy films you can put on glass has an effect in the same vein -- but this would have much more precise requirements..

Jibz:
My first thought was aperture as well. If you have the camera below the floor, all die will have the same distance to the camera, and you can use the aperture to make only a very narrow area in focus. I don't know how easy lenses capable of this at short distances are to come by, perhaps a macro lens.

Stoic Joker:
QuoteI was thinking camera from the bottom using lightly smoked glass might make the extra non-relevant - yet visible - faces easier to ignore.i don't know enough about optics, but maybe someone who does could shed some light on the question of whether it's possible to create a glass "surface" (lens?) that had the effect of making something the details of an object laying flat against it very clear, but rapidly blurring anything that was even a couple of millimeters away... -mouser (January 24, 2016, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's been a while since I worked in optical - like over a decade... But if you have an (eyeglass) optical surfacing lab in your area. You should be able to get them to surface a custom CR39 (very high grade plastic) lens for you. The blanks are (IIRC) ~3" in diameter before they are cut down into the eyeglass frames - so there's a good bit of material to work with.

The object here is to get the (camera facing base curve as close to 0 as possible so the back side can be slightly cupped - say a 2-ish diopter curve. this will help to gently coax the die to land in the center...and push anything outside the directly contacting surfaces out of focus helping to blur/hide it. Also the use of a polaroid (sunglass lens) might make it an even better hide for the edges ... and/or just help hide the camera/look cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version