topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newbud - a new independent news project  (Read 3370 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Newbud - a new independent news project
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:40 PM »
This might not come as news to those familiar with James Corbett and friends.
Just thought a bit of good publicity could help the cause to get that extra thrush for a good start.

Newsbud is a new independent news project being promoted by Sibel Edmonds.
You can view a presentation through her weblog here.
Do wish Sibel and company all the success possible on this new endeavour!  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:24 PM by dantheman, Reason: correction »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newbud - a new independent news project
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:45 PM »
I started to watch the video about it, but haven't made it through. Gotta work. :(

But, I'm still pretty excited to see what happens here.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 09:24 AM »
Newsbud officially now on Kickstarter!

Wish them all the best!  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 07:03 PM »
I wish them the best. So much so I decided to back it.

Now it will be interesting to see if enough people will get behind it. Because, as PBS and other public TV stations quickly discovered back in their early days, the viewing public will say they want one thing, such as "good programming" or "cultural shows" and "good music"  - but will usually elect to watch something else instead. Like the latest episode of Walking Dead or whatever. So I'm not 100% optimistic this is going to happen. But hopefully those same people who claim to want news reporting as accurate, in depth, and "investigative" as they say they do (and like CNN originally started out to be) will come through and hit the pledge button.

If donations continue at their present pace they should hit their $950K target with time to spare.

The fund use breakout is also interesting in that the average salaries for the first year news team hovers roughly around $40K; and the admin/tech staff about the same. Not glamorous - but enough to get by on for the first year if you're dedicated to the cause. That's refreshing. Because half the Kickstarters I see that provide a salary breakout show them being so low that the project is doomed from the start in most cases. People need to eat. And projects that don't provide sufficient enough paychecks to keep their full-time staff out of public housing and off food stamps are far too common - and bound to fold fairly quickly.

But these folks seem to know their business. And it's always nice dealing with people like that. Because the old investment adage holds as true with crowdfunding as it does with standard business and securities investments:

To avoid serious injuries, never join a hardball league that allows amateurs to play.