ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Agnitum (makers of Outpost Firewall and AV) has been acquired by Yandex

<< < (4/5) > >>

4wd:
Anyone have any suggestions regarding a replacement security suite that has a firewall component that's as leak-tight as Agnitum's was?-Innuendo (January 23, 2016, 10:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

At the time I was running OSS the only other firewall with almost as fine grain control was Comodo Internet Security Suite - I have no idea if that is still the case though.

It's too bad that these Internet Security Suites don't allow you to uninstall parts you don't require or at least stop them from using resources, you could continue to use just the firewall component then.

Dormouse:
Another disappointed Outpost user.  >:(
I used Kaspersky once, but found it too intrusive and slow.
I might try it, but can't imagine I will continue after the 2 years are up.
Don't know what the best alternatives are now.
Maybe the 2 years will be enough for me to be fully Android & Linux. And a Windows machine without internet access.

mwb1100:
I switched over to Webroot SecureAnywhere a while back before the recent Agnitum news.  It seems to work OK for me - as far as I can tell it gives a decent mix of protection without being too intrusive.   Ffor a couple of years I've gotten annual 5 device licenses at $30 from this link: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/affiliates/wsc-29  (an affiliate link, but not mine - I have no idea whose it is).

I'm also running lifetime licenses of MBAM and AdGuard.  AdGuard seems to have a perpetual $40 deal (even though the page claims the deal is ending in a few days) for lifetime licenses for 2 machines here:  https://stacksocial.com/sales/adguard-premium-lifetime-subscription

jadinolf:
I am, sad , like so many others but I've given up whining and crying.

I'm staying with Outpost Firewall Pro until they pull the plug on it and if I am still around (i'll be 82) I'll worry about it.

I see I am repeating myself.  :) :-[ :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
I have given up using anything other than built in security software ... most of it seems to do very little to combat online threats these days which mostly seem to be drive by and don;t get picked up by commercial packages.

I use MSE (on windows 7) and Windows Defender on Windows 8 (and 10 if/when I bother to upgrade)
The built in firewall
And Malwarbytes AntiMalware (lifetime licenses).

IME the latter is the only one that seems to pick anything up these days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version