ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Agnitum (makers of Outpost Firewall and AV) has been acquired by Yandex

<< < (3/5) > >>

4wd:
... without incorporating any of the technology/code into new or existing products or retaining staff.-Edvard (January 18, 2016, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

They are incorporating the technology and retaining staff ... just not for the good of the Outpost customer base.  It will be for the good of the Yandex Browser customer base.

In December 2015 Yandex acquired Agnitum software technology. Agnitum’s R&D has provided security software solutions for over 15 years. These technologies will now be used to protect users of Yandex Browser.

As agreed by both parties, Agnitum’s software developers, quality engineers and virus analysts were offered an opportunity to join Yandex team and continue their work in St Petersburg office of Yandex.

Agnitum experience will contribute greatly to the development of Protect active security technology that ensures online safety for Yandex Browser users. Protect encompasses several technologies: ID theft protection, Secure Wi-Fi feature, suspicious site blocking and virus scanner.
--- End quote ---

Edvard:
Aha, the picture is clearer now.  Still, not good news for Outpost users.  :(

I have used the Yandex browser and found it to be not much different from the Chromium it's based on, but maybe things like this will make a difference.  Also, YES, they have a stake in Kaspersky.  From the Wikipedia page:
The browser checks webpage security with the Yandex security system and checks downloaded files with Kaspersky anti-virus.
--- End quote ---
So Kaspersky is integrated?  :huh:
Either way, I've used the Yandex search engine before, and have been pleased with the results.  Maybe I'll give the browser a second try...

Innuendo:
I'm sad to see Agnitum go, but I got my money's worth out of my lifetime license that I bought 8 or so years ago. Anyone have any suggestions regarding a replacement security suite that has a firewall component that's as leak-tight as Agnitum's was?

40hz:
Lifetime key. Yours or ours - whichever comes first.

Jibz:
Very disappointing .. and not sure what I am going to do with 3 Kaspersky licenses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version