ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (4/25) > >>

supertechnogeek:
No single 1 registry cleaners can detect and clean all errors.

I have tested 10 registry cleaners, even thought I cleaner with each of them, there are still errors to be found!

My conclusion is: No single registry cleaner can clean all errors.

You can find more information here => http://www.review-registry-cleaner.com/comp-problem/how-to-repair-computer-slow-down-problem/

Josh:
Are you the owner of this website supertechnogeek?

Crush:
I also agree that most registry cleaners are not as useful as expected - also combinations do not deliver satisfying results, I think.

If you take a close look what Registry-Cleaners are doing you´ll see that only some very special branches are "cleaned". GUIDs and spreaded informations of some programs/dlls/paths/Setup-Collections are not searched/found perfectly. With each hardware/software you install or connect the registry is growing more and more with informations you´ll never be able to clean automatically in a perfect way.

I sometimes let a cleaner run over it (just for fun), but the best results I get by hand. I must admit that in the beginning I killed too much entries but with the time the knowledge what to delete and what you mustn´t is growing. This "knowledge" should be included in these registry-cleaners as some kind of artificial intelligence to decide what level can be delete and what connections perhaps belong to other branches - and this seems to be too complicate. So they use the simpliest ways to decide what has to be deleted and throw their tools on the market - doing only half of the job that could possibly be done.

Only rather few entries in the Software-branch makes it possible to slowdown every registry-search/installation/deinstallation, the Startup-List and right-mouse-button-command-list.

Why?

The problem is that microsoft never intended to let so much programs install and write mostly useless shit cross-seeded in the registry. They never thought someone could use a running computer for more than two or three years without reinstalling or upgrading the operating system. It was easier for programmers to write/create some keys in the registry and not to use ini-files. This can also be done quite simple - but the registry functions are a perfect container for "hidden" informations that can not be changed as easily by normal users. If I could make a decision for further Windows-Versions I would ban the registry for anything else than the OS itself and force the programmers to split their informations in seperate and easy to clean/manage ini-files or at least reorganize the structure of the registry itself.

The best thing would be a combination with a virtualization-system like Altiris SVS that can split/bypass all informations of a program in a separate folder. If it only would do this with registry entries (it does this with every single file created by a virtualization layer ... this is good for temporary/testing purposes, but not for a simple registry-splitting) this could be a perfect solution/addon for the registry! There are some other flaws in this prog, but the direction seems to be the right one!

supertechnogeek:
Josh => Yes, I am the webmaster...
Crush => Can't agree more! But manually remove is a tedious task, takes some time and some technical knowledge. The biggest problem with Windows registry is the tree structure, and many software design to "full explore" this function with each every information, configuration all stored into the registry, and the only result is slowing down the system.

Hopefully .Net application don't do that anymore...! I see some .net application still access to registry for some reasons, still a long way before all changed to dot net.

J-Mac:
I use jv16 Powertools 2007 for registry cleaning. I don't use it in any kind of Automatic Mode; instead I monitor each cleaning and only select those keys which I recognize as being associated with items I feel comfortable with.  It is configured to create a backup of all affected keys, plus I backup the entire registry weekly.

There are many cases I have seen where certain applications I once had installed still have a lot of keys that are no longer beneficial.

Also, Acronis images help me feel a bit safer.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version