ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (24/25) > >>

f0dder:
NTFS streams and ACLs-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you really use them? I know no one who does.-Tuxman (August 16, 2012, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
For most of my files? No. But it's definitely nice being able to, say, archive up a htdocs/wwwroot folder with custom ACLs and indexing metadata.

and pretty darn comprehensive command line features-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
What exactly is it lacking for you?-Tuxman (August 16, 2012, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
Things like date/time specifiers in the output filename, and "clear Archive attribute" combined with "only add files with Archive attribute set". (Those are features I've used a fair amount - but it supports a lot more stuff from the command line, including features that can be useful for scripting).

Also, format wise, RARs Recovery Records have saved my ass, and native multi-volume support (rather than 7z's split/reassemble) is nice when dealing with unreliable protocols like FTP or HTTP.

IMHO it sucks. The zip format, even with the various extensions that aren't universally supported, just isn't very good...-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
You missed the .zipx format, obviously. Also, if you prefer WinRAR, remember that .rar is a proprietary format too.-Tuxman (August 16, 2012, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
No, I didn't miss the ".zipx" format, it's those "not universally supported extensions". On a lot of platforms, zip support means info-zip zip/unzip, which doesn't handle those. And while RAR isn't open source, it does at least have source code for the decompression, with a liberal-enough license that it's a usable format. (Is there any source around for the zipx extensions yet, or just the half-assed "technote"?)

Tuxman:
And while RAR isn't open source, it does at least have source code for the decompression, with a liberal-enough license that it's a usable format.
--- End quote ---
According to this logic, ZPAQ should be your format of choice: open-sourced and a high compression rate.  8)

IainB:
Using CCleaner:
I use CCleaner:
(a) for the simple reason that it theoretically allows for good practice in system housekeeping, and my training is to take this practice approach (belts and braces).
(b) because experience has led me to trust that Koroush Ghazi is probably qualified regarding what he discusses in his technical handbooks.

It's really all about risk avoidance. For this reason, I would recommend using CCleaner or another reputable registry cleaner.
I don't have an opinion on whether CCleaner (or any other registry cleaner) is good or necessary though, as I am not qualified to judge, not having researched the field.

f0dder:
IainB, it seems a lot of people are still stuck in the Win9x era regarding some things. "I've always done this, it mattered back then, so I'm just going to continue mindlessly doing it without researching if it's any use" kinda of mindset. I'm not familiar with Koroush Gazi (nor tweakguides), so he might very well have reasonable things to say - but recommending to run registry cleaners would not be one of them.

It's really all about risk avoidance. For this reason, I would recommend using CCleaner or another reputable registry cleaner.
-IainB (August 16, 2012, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
You're more likely to run into trouble if you use a registry cleaner than if you don't. CCleaner might opt on the safe side, but still you're hardly going to prevent problems by running a registry cleaner (CCleaner can do other stuff as well, which might be more useful).

IainB:
...You're more likely to run into trouble if you use a registry cleaner than if you don't...
-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks @f0dder, I would be very interested to know whether (and how) this statement is something that you can substantiate.
Getting rid of even one tedious housekeeping exercise (i.e., registry "cleaning") would be beneficial, and I certainly would not want to continue doing it if it actually increased risks, as you seem to be suggesting.
Need to know more please!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version