ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (23/25) > >>

IainB:
I have long been a faithful student of Koroush Ghazi's TweakGuides Tweaking Companion 01 v3.0 - Windows XP (2006-01).pdf and later TweakGuides Tweaking Companion 02 v1.2 - Windows 7 (2011-02).pdf (click on links to view/download).

In both, he suggests the registry-cleaning and tweaking software to use, but it does seem that there was potentially more to be gained from deliberate maintenance/cleaning of the XP registry than of the Win 7 registry. He doesn't say to not use maintenance/cleaning tools in Win 7, but suggests which to use - which fitted with my theoretical approach that the registry is just a database and so could benefit from its obsolete records being periodically weeded-out and the database size being optimised/compressed. Makes it more efficient.
It's really just part of what I was taught as being good "system housekeeping" practice. Sure, it's a nuisance and it's unproductive maintenance, but that's the point - it is maintenance, as is maintaining efficient Group Policy through tweaks using the group policy editor.

f0dder:
I've used Ccleaner for years (including its "registry cleaner" -- and yes, I make a backup first), and it's never hosed any of my systems.-kyrathaba (August 15, 2012, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Why do you use it, though? Except for a few specialized situations, doing "registry cleanups" is almost entirely superfluous on NT based Windows versions. The space savings are negligible, and because of the data structures and algorithms involved in the registry, you're unlikely to see any speed gains.

You'll want to make sure the hive files aren't too fragmented, but that's about it.

Yesterday I saw that even WinZip has a registry cleaner.  ;D-Tuxman (August 16, 2012, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, and it's one of those foul scareware kind of things. Congratulations on Corel for totally ruining the WinZip brand - not that anybody should use that awful program when WinRAR and 7-zip are around.

Tuxman:
Why should anyone still use WinRAR?

That said, WinZip is still pretty good, it is only a bit too pricey.

Corel, all good software's graveyard. *sigh*
(Before someone mentions Oracle: I said good software.)

f0dder:
Why should anyone still use WinRAR?-Tuxman (August 16, 2012, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Because it's a decent piece of software that's decently priced. If you only need basic archive operation, you should probably go for 7-zip (it's file manager misses a few convenience things here and there which would annoy me in the long run, but it's good enough that I don't have WinRAR on my work laptop) - but WinRAR does have a bunch of additional features (NTFS streams and ACLs and pretty darn comprehensive command line features).

That said, WinZip is still pretty good, it is only a bit too pricey.-Tuxman (August 16, 2012, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
IMHO it sucks. The zip format, even with the various extensions that aren't universally supported, just isn't very good... and WinZip has become bloatware and it's GUI was never particularly good.

Tuxman:
NTFS streams and ACLs-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you really use them? I know no one who does.

and pretty darn comprehensive command line features-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well...

7-Zip [64] 9.27 alpha  Copyright (c) 1999-2012 Igor Pavlov  2012-06-02

Usage: 7z <command> [<switches>...] <archive_name> [<file_names>...]
       [<@listfiles...>]

<Commands>
  a: Add files to archive
  b: Benchmark
  d: Delete files from archive
  e: Extract files from archive (without using directory names)
  h: Calculate hash values for files
  l: List contents of archive
  t: Test integrity of archive
  u: Update files to archive
  x: eXtract files with full paths
<Switches>
  -ai[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: Include archives
  -ax[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: eXclude archives
  -bd: Disable percentage indicator
  -i[r[-|0]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: Include filenames
  -m{Parameters}: set compression Method
  -o{Directory}: set Output directory
  -p{Password}: set Password
  -r[-|0]: Recurse subdirectories
  -scs{UTF-8 | WIN | DOS}: set charset for list files
  -sfx[{name}]: Create SFX archive
  -si[{name}]: read data from stdin
  -slt: show technical information for l (List) command
  -so: write data to stdout
  -ssc[-]: set sensitive case mode
  -ssw: compress shared files
  -t{Type}: Set type of archive
  -u[-][p#][q#][r#][x#][y#][z#][!newArchiveName]: Update options
  -v{Size}[b|k|m|g]: Create volumes
  -w[{path}]: assign Work directory. Empty path means a temporary directory
  -x[r[-|0]]]{@listfile|!wildcard}: eXclude filenames
  -y: assume Yes on all queries
--- End quote ---

What exactly is it lacking for you?

IMHO it sucks. The zip format, even with the various extensions that aren't universally supported, just isn't very good...-f0dder (August 16, 2012, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
You missed the .zipx format, obviously. Also, if you prefer WinRAR, remember that .rar is a proprietary format too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version