ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (22/25) > >>

kyrathaba:
I've used Ccleaner for years (including its "registry cleaner" -- and yes, I make a backup first), and it's never hosed any of my systems.

iphigenie:
I too have had CCleaner but recently (since win7 at least) whenever I run it and look at the keys, they are minor things that arent worth removing (associations that have no associated app, so what?), things I dont want removed because I know what they are (placeholders and references)

So I pretty much dont that mode at all except now and then after an uninstall or upgrade to see if there's old junk (very rare)

Tuxman:
Yesterday I saw that even WinZip has a registry cleaner.  ;D

I wonder when Microsoft will bring out their own.

IainB:
I've used Ccleaner for years (including its "registry cleaner" -- and yes, I make a backup first), and it's never hosed any of my systems.
-kyrathaba (August 15, 2012, 08:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
^ ditto, and it seems to be very good at what it does.
The only problem though is that something - and I suspect CCleaner, but cannot prove it (i.e, it's not repeatable) - sometimes seem to zap some of my bookmarks in xplorer².
Since the xplorer² bookmarks and other settings are held in the registry, my workaround is to periodically export a copy of the xplorer² settings, to a .reg file, so that I can reset/reinstall them after they get zapped.

Stoic Joker:
I wonder when Microsoft will bring out their own.-Tuxman (August 16, 2012, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sometime in 1997 (icon was a green package with a red ribbon IIRC), however they dropped in in the Win2000 era because it was no longer needed/useful/necessary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version