ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none

<< < (8/25) > >>

Darwin:
But either way I'll signup to sit with you on the replayed point as I agree completely.
-Stoic Joker (March 20, 2009, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Moi aussi! I think in the hands of someone who knows what s/he is doing and who takes the time to consider each change suggested by a registry cleaner, a registry cleaner may not do any harm and may even do some good in cleaning up after naughtly uninstallers. However, for the vast majority of people (myself included), who do not take the time to go through all of the suggested changes to vet them before letting a registry cleaner "do its thing", I suggest following Brave Sir Robin's example:

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

He is packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering up
And chickening out and pissing off home,
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge...
--- End quote ---

cmpm:
a very good and powerful cleaner
in fact so good-be careful with some of the cleaners
i just use the registry cleaner with this one
sometimes the other cleaners, but they may clean too much
be sure you know what it's taking out

the registry cleaner part is safe
and i use it without problems

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2009/01/26/fix-reg...t-registry-fix/

the home page is in another language so i posted this blog about it

here's the home page-

http://www.vitsoft.org.ua/index.htm

i've used (and still do) regseeker, glary, ccleaner and atf cleaner, cleanup! and atf as well as cleanup! has nothing to do with the registry-just threw them in

anyway I use the cleaner for files in ccleaner mainly for saving cookies i don't want deleted, so on the other cleaners i skip the cookies

since i've been using Vit, the other registry cleaners don't find much.

But watch out for the other cleaners in Vit, they are powerful. too powerful with a novice. Perhaps the reg cleaner part also.
But it does show exactly what it will do before you click 'Fix'.
With options to uncheck fixing anything.

Darwin:
Just to add to my earlier comment - my problem with registry cleaners in general is that there are more often than not FAR too many fixes suggested for me to go through carefully to critically evaluate whether or not I agree with them. Thus, the danger is very real that I'll bork my system unintentionally... Thus, my "response" to cmpm's note above is to reiterate and add to what I said in my previous post:

Be damned sure you back up your registry before making any changes to your registry and most important check each suggested change before letting a registry cleaner make changes to your system.

Overall, I've found it far easier to simply leave my registry alone. With XP and now Vista, just like RAM cleaners and pagefile tweaking I no longer see the need...

Just my two bits.

f0dder:
Darwin: yup, too overzealous, and "cleaning" the registry means just about nothing wrt. performance anyway (defragging is what matters).

Wrt. pagefile, 'tweaking' the size is more or less useless, and the various "1.5x system memory", "no! 2x system memory!" etc. is silly. Either you get enough RAM to turn it off completely, or you set a bigger-than-ever-needed minimum size (to avoid ever having to grow, possibly resulting in fragmentation). If you feel you do need a pagefile, it can help moving it to "the physical disk with the least traffic" (which might very well be your system disk - the blind advise of "don't put pagefile on your system disk" is as silly as anything).

cmpm:
It's true that most keys found in a good registry clean don't matter much. They can pile up and sometimes , not often, fix problems and speed up the computer a bit.

Here's a shot of a scan I just did. Not a lot, 84 I think. Just from Windows registry tracking everything you install or change, basically. Keeping settings for programs as well, that you may not have any more.

Anyway here's the shot, and I run it occasionally cause after a while there is 100's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version