topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none  (Read 86586 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none
« on: July 03, 2006, 12:58 AM »
we've actually discussed this before.. and i tend to come to the same conclusion, mostly because the risk of deleting something important seems so high to me, i'd rather not take the chance..

What would be the best software to buy to fix and clean the registry for Windows XP Professional?

There's a wide variety of opinion on registry cleaners. Many people believe that they're important tools to keep your system running smoothly.

My opinion's a little different.

I rarely use a registry cleaner. In fact, I've never actually felt that I've needed to use a registry cleaner. And I definitely install and play with random things on my machine on a regular basis.

My fundamental belief is that the best registry cleaner is no registry cleaner at all. Most people simply don't need it, and don't need to run one.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's the best registry cleaner? Ask Leo says: none
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 01:09 AM »
The best registry cleaner is using applications that don't use the registry, but config or ini files instead.

Eventhough Microsoft hates this, and is secretly trying to get rid of ini files.

(Who's Leo? Never saw that site. There seems to be mostly very basic stuff on there. I don't think it's a good idea to scare new users into not-fiddling-with-their-computer... after all,... how else are they going to learn stuff? ;) )

[edit] Oh he's a Microsoft employee. That explains the shield-user-from-computer stuff. :) [/edit]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 01:25 AM by Gothi[c] »

Terry

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Falcon21 Home PC Security
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:18 PM »
Most registry cleaner are unsafe to use for new users. I agree with mouser that there is a high risk of deleting something important. A few years ago I used a registry cleaner tool on Windows ME and it broke the OS, I have to reinstall the whole OS. I am still using a old and safe cleaner program call RegCleaner which is a freeware but no longer supported, so far no problem with it. There are also some free registry defragment and compression software that are safe to use, however avoid registry cleaner. Of course, it is important that you backup your registry and turn on system restore so that old copies of the registries can be restored.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:20 PM by Terry »

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Id hate to think of a third party app fiddling with my reg, especially with some of these apps doing the change without showing what its done. But i loved X-Setup from xteq (http://www.xteq.com) (i say loved, i used it before it went all pro because i pretty much knowall the keys and subkeys from over the years and didn`t really need it anymore). It a fine app , i think the pre-pro version is still avalailabe for free somewhere.

I really liked it because it was a manual process, it was in depth on what you where actually changing and it could do it in a non-destructive way as it could save the history ( that is if you didn`t totally screw up the settings and could still get your machine to boot). Oh, and it allowed you to create some really usefull scripts to share with other users.

Admitidly it wasn`t a automated registry cleaner (of course it had scripts that checked for orphaned keys and such, which basically is just what most automated cleaners do) which is can only be a good thing, as quite frankly if you dont know how to manually control the registry you shouldnt really be messing around with it. At least if your fiddling with your reg with x-setup , the interface was very intuitive and could in some instances really stop tears before bedtime.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:48 PM by mukestar »

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:37 AM »
IMHO these two are v.good:

Regseeker 1.45 (free)  http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Regvac 4.02.17  (paid)   http://www.superwin.com/

SKA
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 03:40 AM by SKA »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 04:23 AM »
Two previous threads have covered this at length:

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1188.0
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2964.0

I still say the best cleaner in no cleaner.

I am using CrapCleaner on my system and have jv16 PowerTools 2006 installed.

jv16 is one of the highest rated registry cleaners out there (and has been for years) garnering the support of people like Fred Langa but ....

I have run both to see what 'problems' they come up with and both come up with a lot that on closer inspection would delete many vital keys if just run automatically. Both also delete all placeholders used by MS in their Office products (keys that don't point anywhere or to a non-existent file that will be added only if you you need it - either from the installation media or the web) and quite a few empty references for other installed apps.

You could argue that empty keys are a waste of space but I presume they are there for a purpose - just because registry cleaners (and me) don't know why it isn't a good excuse to simply delete them.

People who recommend reg cleaners rarely suggest running them in automatic mode (in fact anyone who does that is totally mad). The trouble is what do you do manually when you are confronted by about 1500 anomalies - many of which don't have any obvious function, or are so obfuscated as to be unfixable manually ?

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:03 AM »
>People who recommend reg cleaners rarely suggest running them in automatic mode (in fact anyone who does that is totally mad). <

I do run the two I recommend above in "strictly" manual mode - deleting only green items in Regseeker,  rechecking each key manually in Regvac, so .....I must be partially sane <grin>

SKA

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 05:50 AM »
I am still using a old and safe cleaner program call RegCleaner which is a freeware but no longer supported,

If you're referring to the MS tool that has an icon of a cyan box with a red ribbon on it, that tool is not safe.

I haven't really noticed any cases where a registry cleaner caused any noticeable speed effect; the registry is stored in a binary and pretty efficient format. Looking up keys/values uses a binary search, which means that to find a key out of 4.294.967.296 takes a maximum of log(2**32)/log(2) compares - that's 32 compares. Of course most registries have a lot less entries than that, so it's even faster.

One thing that DOES help, though, is to keep your registry defragmented..
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 07:27 AM »
Since the best registry cleaners have a backup option, there's no problems if you delete a critical setting in the registry, restore the backup and it's done. I'll endorse PowerTools since I've been using software developed by Jouni Vuorio, the head of Macecraft since 2000, when I got my computer. No problems so far in all those 6 years, not even with MS Office 2000 installed.

Please don't use RegCleaner of Microsoft's RegClean. They're both old, and they could give serious problems with newer computers and software. I tried the last version of RegCleaner months ago, and the program showed some entries in the registry which were dangerous to delete according to my own experience.

Don't use RegSeeker as well. It's very very aggressive and it shows a great deal of entries that could give some problems if deleted. Not to mention the algorithms used to detect useless entries need some rewriting, as it can't detect real paths properly.

EasyCleaner seems like a good option for those using freeware, now if the GUI wasn't so awful... I also use the registry cleaner included in TuneUp Utilities, which complements PowerTools perfectly, and it's also very good, especially for the CLSID entries.

And finally, Mr. Langa could update its comparison to include some other recent registry cleaners like TweakNow's offer (it's not that good, but anyway) and the AMUST Registry Cleaner, which I really don't know if it works or not, since it's only for Win2K and up, but seems like a decent choice.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 08:27 AM by Lashiec »

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 07:31 AM »
I have used Fix It Utilities registry fixer for several years on different laptops and never had any problems, provided that you remove only those recommended by default (and I never tried to delete any others). :up:

I have recently been using the trial version of jv16 Power Tools.  When it finishes scanning, I have been choosing "Select all" and then "Fix".  I find that jv16 PT comes up with a much longer list of items to delete.  SO far have not had any problems. :up:

I have always run them in the manual mode.

The bigger and more important question that I cannot answer is how much better or worse things would be if I had not flushed them to begin with. :-\

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 08:59 AM »
"Select All" > "Fix" is not manual mode - that is automatic mode. Expect some problems!

I have found things look good for a while and then you start to notice odd little things and irritations start to happen. Because the computer doesn't burst into flames when you click fix does not mean everything is alright - trouble is by the time you start noticing the problems you forget that little button you clicked!

mukestar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 08:30 PM »
Since the best registry cleaners have a backup option, there's no problems if you delete a critical setting in the registry, restore the backup and it's done.

Only as long as it isnt so FUBAR that it boots.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 08:43 AM »
Best solution is to make a windows recovery disc (including a registry image) before undertaking any major registry surgery.

You can do that from Windows Backup (see Start > Accessories > System Tools > Backup) on the "Welcome" tab hit Automated System Recovery Wizard (in the WinXP version anyway). You will need a blank floppy.

If you trash your system you can use the Windows repair function by booting from the original windows CD.

supertechnogeek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 09:17 AM »
m...I might be the few who still think registry cleaner is safe, especially commercial version!
Some free version is good, but many is not up to date or might be obsolete in the near future.

I must admit during the time when Windows XP first launching, registry cleaner is very rare and many done harm then good.

But from my experience, I must say that nowsaday paid registry cleaner is very safe!

For free registry cleaners, I would recommend
EUsing => http://www.eusing.co...registry_cleaner.htm
CCleaner =>http://www.ccleaner.com/
Regseeker =>http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

If you still concern about The Danger of Registry Cleaner => http://www.review-re...of-registry-cleaner/

I personally use 3 free cleaners and 2 paid cleaners, many windows problems can be easily fixed =>http://www.review-re...tegory/comp-problem/

But in the near future, Microsoft will 100% fix it with .NET platform! becuase dot net is using XML to store configuration instead of registry. Until then we still need registry cleaners, many good stuff out there...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 09:32 AM »
Just out of curiosity, which shareware cleaners are you using? Also, why are you using a total of five cleaners? I thought that received wisdom held that you should pick one and stick with it...

supertechnogeek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 09:39 AM »
No single 1 registry cleaners can detect and clean all errors.

I have tested 10 registry cleaners, even thought I cleaner with each of them, there are still errors to be found!

My conclusion is: No single registry cleaner can clean all errors.

You can find more information here => http://www.review-re...r-slow-down-problem/

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Are you the owner of this website supertechnogeek?

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 03:05 PM »
I also agree that most registry cleaners are not as useful as expected - also combinations do not deliver satisfying results, I think.

If you take a close look what Registry-Cleaners are doing you´ll see that only some very special branches are "cleaned". GUIDs and spreaded informations of some programs/dlls/paths/Setup-Collections are not searched/found perfectly. With each hardware/software you install or connect the registry is growing more and more with informations you´ll never be able to clean automatically in a perfect way.

I sometimes let a cleaner run over it (just for fun), but the best results I get by hand. I must admit that in the beginning I killed too much entries but with the time the knowledge what to delete and what you mustn´t is growing. This "knowledge" should be included in these registry-cleaners as some kind of artificial intelligence to decide what level can be delete and what connections perhaps belong to other branches - and this seems to be too complicate. So they use the simpliest ways to decide what has to be deleted and throw their tools on the market - doing only half of the job that could possibly be done.

Only rather few entries in the Software-branch makes it possible to slowdown every registry-search/installation/deinstallation, the Startup-List and right-mouse-button-command-list.

Why?

The problem is that microsoft never intended to let so much programs install and write mostly useless shit cross-seeded in the registry. They never thought someone could use a running computer for more than two or three years without reinstalling or upgrading the operating system. It was easier for programmers to write/create some keys in the registry and not to use ini-files. This can also be done quite simple - but the registry functions are a perfect container for "hidden" informations that can not be changed as easily by normal users. If I could make a decision for further Windows-Versions I would ban the registry for anything else than the OS itself and force the programmers to split their informations in seperate and easy to clean/manage ini-files or at least reorganize the structure of the registry itself.

The best thing would be a combination with a virtualization-system like Altiris SVS that can split/bypass all informations of a program in a separate folder. If it only would do this with registry entries (it does this with every single file created by a virtualization layer ... this is good for temporary/testing purposes, but not for a simple registry-splitting) this could be a perfect solution/addon for the registry! There are some other flaws in this prog, but the direction seems to be the right one!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 03:13 PM by Crush »

supertechnogeek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Josh => Yes, I am the webmaster...
Crush => Can't agree more! But manually remove is a tedious task, takes some time and some technical knowledge. The biggest problem with Windows registry is the tree structure, and many software design to "full explore" this function with each every information, configuration all stored into the registry, and the only result is slowing down the system.

Hopefully .Net application don't do that anymore...! I see some .net application still access to registry for some reasons, still a long way before all changed to dot net.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 12:28 AM »
I use jv16 Powertools 2007 for registry cleaning. I don't use it in any kind of Automatic Mode; instead I monitor each cleaning and only select those keys which I recognize as being associated with items I feel comfortable with.  It is configured to create a backup of all affected keys, plus I backup the entire registry weekly.

There are many cases I have seen where certain applications I once had installed still have a lot of keys that are no longer beneficial.

Also, Acronis images help me feel a bit safer.

Jim

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 01:38 AM »
I've been running these on my system for years, right before I backup the system.

1. TuneUp Registry Cleaner
2. PC Tools Registry Mechanic
3. TuneUp RegistryDefrag

The only problem I had was Registry Mechanic deleting my HijackThis 'ignored apps' list - I asked Registry Mechanic to ignore that specific key and haven't had a problem since. I doubt if I'd have run these if I didn't have previous system backups to rely on though.

supertechnogeek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 03:07 AM »
I still think <a href="http://www.review-re...egistry-easy-review/">Registry Easy </a>offers the most features.

I only recommend <a href="http://www.review-re...try-mechanic-review/">Registry Mechanic </a>if you are already PC Tools customer, although I use registry mechanic for pass 18 months, and kinda like it until I found Registry Easy...

Try for yourself => <a href="http://www.review-re...oducts/registryeasy/">Registry Easy</a> and let me know if you like it...

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 03:25 AM »
@supertechnogeek

Are you an affiliate partner? Why don't you link directly to Registry Easy? This thread starts to feel like a spam.  >:( :down:

supertechnogeek

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 03:36 AM »
Yes, I am.

If anyone don't mind I take a cut, please go through my link, you have nothing to lose and I take what I work for.

Direct link is here Registry Easy => http://www.registryeasy.com

ciderman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 04:11 AM »
Hello!

I am using jv16 PowerTools 2006 and CCleaner on my system. I dont use then veru often but when i do i always make a back up. I am not very experienced with registry so i will try to be as careful as possible.
Something to think about: "Pain is your friend, it lets you know that you are still alive"