ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Dan Gilmor on moving to Linux

(1/8) > >>

xtabber:
Journalist Dan Gilmor, one of the earliest bloggers and a long-time voice of reason in Silicon Valley, has a new post discussing why and how he moved to Linux. Nothing new or earth shaking, but a sensible and useful article for anyone trying to make the case for switching to FOSS.

rgdot:
Started reading it, before I finish I want to say that I hope the article doesn't say 'GIMP is as good as photoshop' or 'Libre Office is as good as Office', I know almost 100% of Linux users will always object or flame such a statement but those two are not as good (just generally, not about missing thing here or there), sorry they are just not.
I have been ~90% on Linux the last two years and believe me they are not. If the article includes those two statements I will be forced to dismiss it  :P

MilesAhead:
Started reading it, before I finish I want to say that I hope the article doesn't say 'GIMP is as good as photoshop' or 'Libre Office is as good as Office', I know almost 100% of Linux users will always object or flame such a statement but those two are not as good (just generally, not about missing thing here or there), sorry they are just not.
I have been ~90% on Linux the last two years and believe me they are not. If the article includes those two statements I will be forced to dismiss it  :P
-rgdot (January 06, 2016, 01:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I spent the most time on Linux without constantly booting into Windows when I had Mandrake 9.1 and kylix installed.  I did  a few small programs in kylix to try it out.  But the main benefit was a general text editor with Windows style key bindings.  Such a relief.  Although if I was forced to use vi I could do it.  I could see it was very powerful.  Just no fun eating the learning curve.  :)

I did try Gimp for Windows in a cursory fashion.  It is quite different going about the tasks than any Windows graphics editor.  I didn't absorb the learning curve or use PS enough to come to any opinion.  I think I tried PS for a few days one day.  :)

Edvard:
--- End quote ---

I can say two things about that:
While I agree Gimp is overall less powerful in some categories, I also find it doesn't fight against me like Photoshop does.  I can do amazing things (to me, at least) in Gimp, while I can barely use Photoshop as a glorified MSPaint.  I suppose if I found a good book or reference on Photoshop, things might turn around.  On another note I also have a BIG problem with people who say you can't use Gimp to do professional work.  >:(
Regarding Libre/OpenOffice, I must say I fully agree.  I use MS Office at work; I loathe Word, love Publisher, on the fence about PowerPoint, awed by all the things I don't know but probably can do in Excel, and at least in our facility, if you're not using Outlook for email, the rest of the office will think you're some reptile alien from another dimension.  I almost never use LibreOffice, unless it's to import a PDF into Writer (which it's surprisingly good at most days), but otherwise, LibreOffice's programs are just downright generic compared to MS Office.  And there's no application to compare to Publisher. Period.  Well, maybe Scribus, but until it has automatic N-up layout functions, I will still prefer Publisher.

sword:
I hope the article doesn't say 'GIMP is as good as photoshop' or 'Libre Office is as good as Office',
--- End quote ---
I liked photoshop but have an early edition. For what I do, Krita is best. I like Publisher but it can't
hold a candle to WordPerfect, not just on power but also on ease of use and reliability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version