topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MouseMark on Windows 10  (Read 12278 times)

michaewlewis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MouseMark on Windows 10
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Hello,
I just found the MouseMark utility and tried running it on Windows 10, but it doesn't work. Any chance of an update?

https://www.donation...index.php?topic=2851

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: MouseMark on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Skrommel hasn't been by in a while.  When you say "does not work" does it give any reaction?  Have you tried running it "as administrator?"

I know in Windows 8 if I press and release the control key it shows an animated circle around the mouse pointer.  Not as cool as Skrommel's graphics but at least it shows where to look.

michaewlewis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:47 PM »
nope.... nothing happens. I tried running as admin, but it still doesn't work. Also tried changing the hotkeys.
The built-in mouse location function helps a little, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change the color of the circle so it's more visible. The system I'm trying to get it working on has four 50" 4k TV's that run an app that is predominantly gray, so the gray circle is still hard to see. ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 06:53 PM »
I don't know if this would have any effect but you could try running the exe in Compatibility Mode as W7 or W8.  I only have a Laptop presently and W10 in a VM is just too slow for testing.  I don't want to risk updating until I have a "guinea pig" PC.  So I have no idea if it will help.  Just taking a guess.  :)

michaewlewis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Good idea, but it didn't work for me. I tried running in xp, 7, & 8, with and without admin.
Do you know if mousemark is opensource?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Good idea, but it didn't work for me. I tried running in xp, 7, & 8, with and without admin.
Do you know if mousemark is opensource?

I can't speak for the author.  But I assume he always posted the source as well as binary so that the user could fix errors or change hotkeys.  Editing and recompiling for your own private use shouldn't be an issue.

michaewlewis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 03:50 PM »
okay.... I feel stupid.... I didn't realize that you had to hold down the hotkeys. I thought you could just press them and it would do the little animation (kinda like the windows pointer location function). Nope... you have to hold it down for about a second for the crosshairs show up and as soon as you let go, it stops.
Update: MouseMark now works on Windows 10.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 06:59 AM »
okay.... I feel stupid.... I didn't realize that you had to hold down the hotkeys. I thought you could just press them and it would do the little animation (kinda like the windows pointer location function). Nope... you have to hold it down for about a second for the crosshairs show up and as soon as you let go, it stops.
Update: MouseMark now works on Windows 10.

Cool.  Skrommel probably did it that way so inadvertently hitting the keys wouldn't set off the animation.  I didn't look through the code but that is in line with how he often coded hotkeys.   :Thmbsup: