ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Here we go again! New Onenote online broken.

(1/2) > >>

dantheman:
A quick trip today to see how Onenote online is doing and alas, it seems to be broken.

First, you can "find in page" or "find in section" but there's no more "find in notebook".
Second, a search result of "find in section" showed 8 to be found but only clicking on those findings only resulted with certain elements on the default start page being hightlighted. Sheeessh!  :huh:

Another Microsoft blunder, i say!

IainB:
Another Microsoft blunder, i say!
-dantheman (January 02, 2016, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, well, I do think the web-based OneNote is a cynical marketing sop:
Re: Microsoft OneNote - some experiential Tips & Tricks
...The clincher is seeing how the Cloud-based Notebooks are so reliable, easily accessible and can be shared via the web, though the web-based OneNote UI itself is rubbish and nothing like as good/flexible/functional as the Client-based application.
By the way, the "$FREE" OneNote web UI (discussed elsewhere in the DC forum) is a cynically minimally-functioning product and should be avoided IMO. I would recommend that the user goes for the Client application every time (which necessitates MS Office), or not at all.

--- End quote ---
In other words, I wouldn't recommend that anyone spend their cognitive surplus and/or time on it.
It probably speaks volumes about the level of regard that MS may have for users - the prospective customers - for such things.

dantheman:
Can't help to admire folks at Evernote or Cintanotes who have limited budgets to work with.  :Thmbsup:
Then again, suppose Microsoft can't be good at everything they do, can they?  :D

40hz:
I have a mostly former client that abandoned his in-house infrastructure and shifted his entire business (he's an attorney) to Microsoft's cloud "solution."

It's been...less than ideal for him even though he staunchly sticks with it. He's had problems with OneDrive (files appearing and disappearing, and sporadic sync issues) and more headaches with OneNote (and he really is a very knowledgable and experienced power user when it comes to that app) than I'd be willing to tolerate if I were paying for Office 360.

Time was when he could call me and I'd be able to diagnose and straighten out whatever the problem was. Today, we  mostly have brief but pleasant chats during which I usually end up telling him he's going to need to get in the queue with Mothership Microsoft. Because only they are in a position to fix the issue(s) he's having - and I don't have any inside pull to speed things up like I do with the other companies I generally work with.

I've often said you can never trust any server you don't personally control. Lately, I've started to add you can also only fix a server issue if it's your server.

Brave new world. Glad I've elected not to be a part if it.

IainB:
I have a mostly former client that abandoned his in-house infrastructure and shifted his entire business (he's an attorney) to Microsoft's cloud "solution."

It's been...less than ideal for him even though he staunchly sticks with it. ...
-40hz (January 03, 2016, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would be interesting to know:

* What were the business reasons/objectives for making that wholesale migration and have they been met?
* Did the migration take place in an orderly and planned fashion?
* What was the analysis of potential risks and what contingencies were considered and planned for mitigation of said risks?
* What risks actually eventuated (in comparison to the risk analysis)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version